PDA

View Full Version : IP adjustment...

Jgreemo
10-12-2004, 20:13
Hi all, I know this covers a lot of old ground, but I am wanting to turn up the IP a bit for more power. My 6.5 engine has about 18k miles on it with the Banks turbo, makes little or no black smoke ever and I have only been able to hit 1100 on the EGT up over 7000 feet in over drive. Most driving around town, freeway etc. it's running at about 600-800*.

As for an adjustment, 1/8 turn or 1/4 turn? I purchased the engine from DSG and they turned up the pump before shipping, as I told them I would be adding the turbo. I don't want to hurt the motor, so any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Jon

catmandoo
10-13-2004, 10:40
i went an 1/8 with mine when i put my banks on my n/a 6.5 and it was too much,you couldn't even see behind me the black smoke was so thick,but seems like every one is different,now i'm at about 1/16 and i get good black smoke really hammering on it but other then that i rarely see any and the power is better.think i was getting to much fuel.maybe if the boost came up quicker i could handle more fuel.

Jgreemo
10-14-2004, 11:51
Thanks catmandoo. What sort of boost are you making with your Banks? I'm making up to 10 psi, depending on load and throttle.

Ideally, i'd like to do it once, so I appreciate the info.

Best regards.

catmandoo
10-14-2004, 16:02
well i figured beings i took the banks off my 6.2 that was pushing 5-6 at the most that the 6.5 would have a little more exhaust and heat and theoretically build more boost.NOT the most i have ever seen is 7 lbs,and thats whaling on it in 3rd when i hit od no way will i even get to 5,this is on a manual trans and believe me this thing is flyin when i hit 7lbs.if people that think gassers are the greatest could drive these turbo units they would convert.