PDA

View Full Version : Transmission and Pedal Codes

autocrosser
02-17-2005, 16:03
My sons 95 6.5 truck is having some problems that maybe someone has experienced and save a little trouble shooting.

He is getting codes 81 2-3 solenoid, 82 1-2 solenoid, 83 TCC PWM Sol and 99 which is the pedal 5v reference. These codes are coming up the same each time after clearing them. He has tried another pedal and tried energizing solenoids with my Tech scan tool and heard them click.

The truck is sometimes hard to start and sometimes starts and shuts off when put in gear. There is fuel coming out the water drain so we know the lift pump is working

He found transmission fluid in the connector to the transmission but I don't think that's his problem. the commector has been removed and check and seems ok.

sometimes it won't shift into 3rd. He can shut it off and them it maby be ok after restarting. On a couple of recent trips he noticed a little (very little) stuttering of the engine.

I suggested that he check the voltage to the IP shutoff solenoid to see if he is loosing voltage maybe a bad IGN SW. We haven done any serious trouble shooting yet. I told him to check grounds etc but I don't think that has been done yet

We are both pretty electrical knowledgable I worked in the electronics field 40 years and he is in Rerfrigeration and I'm well up on engines diesel and gas so feed me the problem and we'll persue it. We have the factory manuals.

[ 02-17-2005, 05:13 PM: Message edited by: autocrosser ]

charliepeterson
02-17-2005, 19:42
Take a look at the transmission harness where it goes over the top near the back of the engine and anywhere it might rub something. It's not uncommon for the 1-2 and 2-3 solenoids to fail when hot, either one at a time or together.

It sounds like you have "hard" codes if they come back after clearing them. These solenoids are easy to replace. I would swap out the torque converter solenoid as well. This one is at the front of the valve body. I believe GM has updated the internal harness too. If you find any hard pieces of the harness then swap it out. It's not normal to find oil leaking out of the bulk head plug but it does happen.

Marty Lau
02-18-2005, 08:24
Auto;

Last year I had something very close to what happening with my 1995 same codes ect. I changed everything posible without tearing apart the whole transmission the outside sensors and solenoids and the vaule body inside and there is a little screen inside I changed too nothing fixed it. I took it to the dealer their transimission guy worked on it for 3 to 4 hours and it worked. He was not sure what he did but he suspected a poor electrical connection. Even tho I changed about $300 in electronic parts I am glad I did as the transmission works much better than it did before I got the stuck in second problem. Before I would have the transmission not shift up out of second if it was cold and I didn't let it warm up. I think thats the 1-2 soleniod but now no problems. I would do ash the previouse post suggest and really go over the wiring harness, these are a common issue.

rjwest
02-18-2005, 12:43
Check the fuse holder for corosion/heat damage. sounds like low voltage.
may even try a new fuse....

autocrosser
02-21-2005, 04:52
What is the cost of the ignition SW. I have looked at several web site for it and find cost from $200 down to $16. Looking a GM parts direct site it showed a # 01990116 and it was one of the low prices so I'm thinking that wasn't the correct item.

Is the switch assy obtainable separate from the lock assy or does the whole thing have to be replaced.

We found intermittant low voltage being supplied by the SW and it finally quit completely as far as voltage to the gauge assy and other areas.

JohnC
02-21-2005, 09:36
Originally posted by autocrosser:
What is the cost of the ignition SW. I have looked at several web site for it and find cost from $200 down to $16. Unfortuantely, the $16 one only fits up to '94. The "new improved" one is the one you need and goes int eh $180 range, IIRC.

Is the switch assy obtainable separate from the lock assy or does the whole thing have to be replaced. Yes, it comes separately.

We found intermittant low voltage being supplied by the SW and it finally quit completely as far as voltage to the gauge assy and other areas. Jackpot!

jonflies
02-26-2005, 10:07
After reading this post I found the same problem with my harness being pinched between the cooler lines and the body, and yes mine was made in Mexico, and it is a 99.

There was chaffing and it had gotten through the plastic cover but didn't look like it got to the wires.

autocrosser
02-26-2005, 11:47
The bad switch was disassembled after the new one was installed and it was in really bad shape contact wise.