PDA

View Full Version : Removing the EGR

shamanie
10-07-2004, 12:32
So I read a post that stated removal of the EGR on our engines would not be detrimental in any way to the engine and could provide better performance.

If that is the case, would someone run through the process of removing the EGR?

Thanks in advance.

CleviteKid
10-07-2004, 16:50
Well, let's see, I think you could start by removing the aircleaner. You will see a big black THING sticking up in the middle of the air-hole in the intake manifold, held in by a couple of bolts. Take it off and save it in a safe place in case you ever move to the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia.

Carefully measure the diameter of the round hole left in the top of the manifold where you removed the EGR valve, and drive your OTHER vehicle to the parts store and get a couple of freeze plugs about 1/64" bigger than the hole. Butter them up with silicone sealant (the red high temp variety) and drive them into that hole.

You noticed a rubber vacuum line going to the EGR valve you removed, coming up through the floor of the air cleaner. Yank it out and plug that hole. Cut the vacuum line back to where it comes from, leaving about 2 inches hanging. Select a machine screw that is a tight fit in the hose (if you need to screw it into the hose with a screwdriver, that is the right size) lather it up with your silicone sealant, and drive it in the hose.

You are done.

Dr. Lee :cool:

6.2L Driver
10-07-2004, 22:23
I have my egr still on the intake but have no vacuum line hooked to it, what will this do to my preformace. am i loosing power. Will i notice an increase in power if i remove it completly

CleviteKid
10-08-2004, 04:43
6.2L Driver:

If you do not upgrade your aircleaner, open up the exhaust, turn up the pump, and optimize the injection timing, you will not see much difference with and without that big old lump on top of your manifold. But if you improve the airflow, it will turn into the biggest obstacle and removing it would be desireable. It really is about as easy as I described.

6.2L Driver
10-08-2004, 05:36
where did you get that swanger air cleaner

JeepSJ
10-08-2004, 11:12
Kali does not check diesels...yet.

CleviteKid
10-08-2004, 17:17
I designed it, then made it. That is why a colleague flattered me by naming it "Swanger Air."