PDA

View Full Version : oil pump question

mdregister
10-05-2004, 10:14
Is there any reason the oil pump can not be cleaned with a degreaser and a chlorinated solvent (brake part cleaner)? I am in the midst of a rear seal install and I would like to give the pump a good flushing to insure I did not get any debris in it as I dropped it on removal. Luckily my face broke the fall and somewhat kept the pump off the garage floor:).

john8662
10-05-2004, 13:05
I don't think that brake parts cleaner would hurt one. If you think you got some debris in the pump you can take the four small bolts out and take the oil pump apart and clean it out. I don't know the torque for installing the bolts though. My opinion would be to replace it while you're there if you have many miles on the engine, peace of mind. But if you got just a tiny amount in the pump, its going to be pumped directly into the oil filter, as I think that is the path. I think its best to change the oil sooner after having the engine apart after you get it all back together, like 1k miles. That way you're getting a new oil filter and oil, after exposing the internal components to dust.

TimK
10-06-2004, 07:20
If the pump has a lot of miles on it and you take it apart, you may need to prime it when you are finished. A worn pump may have a hard time drawing up the oil. You can prime it with fresh oil or pack the gears with petrolium jelly. Also, before you start it, turn the engine over with the starter to get oil pressure up before letting the engine run. It may save some wear on the bearings. By pulling the pink wire on the top of the injection pump you can crank all day and it won't start.

Tim

mdregister
10-06-2004, 10:39
TY guys,

I am going to replace it since I have the pan off anyway. I would rather not do this messy job again for awhile smile.gif

jcomp
10-06-2004, 16:05
Luckily my face broke the fall and somewhat kept the pump off the garage floor:). I can relate, I got a main bolt to the forehead when I did my rear main seal. :D