PDA

View Full Version : IP pump problem

monroe_s
10-04-2004, 17:52
Alright, my friend attempted to turn up his 84 6.2 and ran into a slight problem. when he fired it back up the truck was at FULL throttle. i checked it out and he had to take out the spring in the middle of the pump because he couldn't get the shaft to pull out of the back (under intake) to get to the screw. Only did about 3/16 of a turn on the screw. this truck also has banks turbo.

Any suggestions?

JeepSJ
10-04-2004, 20:34
Sounds like he didn't get the governor assembly put back together correctly. The fix is to take it all back apart and put it together correctly.

catmandoo
10-05-2004, 04:08
that is exactly what happened,when you put the cover back on what you want to do is basically lay it flat on the top of the pump about an inch forward of how it sets then push the top back to the proper location and put the bolts in.

monroe_s
10-05-2004, 16:17
Got the problem fixed, the cover was not installed properly like you guys said. Thanks for the help i really appreciate it.

britannic
10-05-2004, 19:34
I'm glad it worked out! The potential to overrev the engine and damage it is enormous, without the governor installed correctly.

JeepSJ
10-06-2004, 08:43
This brings up an interesting question - if you do install the cover incorrectly and thus the governor and shut-off do not work, how do you shut down the engine? I'm thinking that a set of vice grips on a section of rubber fuel line might do it. Any other suggestions?

waorth
10-06-2004, 10:49
Maybe a rag stuffed in the air intake could stop the engine. :confused:

Walter

jcomp
10-06-2004, 16:12
I've read (somewhere, maybe in this forum?) that you can kill the engine by using vice grips on the rubber fuel return coming off the IP. Luckily, I haven't had opportunity to try it yet. I guess if that didn't work, I'd cut the fuel line after my secondary filter and airlock the system.

nape
10-06-2004, 21:32
The rubber return line clamped would increase the pressure in the delivery fuel lines it seems and make matters worse. You must cut the fuel or the air and do it quickly. A rag would probably end up out the exhaust or becoming one with your pistons. A block of wood or metal plate would work but it will then hunt air other places. Removing the fuel filter or clamping the line from fuel filter to IP would cut the fuel. Nape

DmaxMaverick
10-06-2004, 22:45
Emergency shut down. Excellent question.

If you have a Mercedes, Peugot, or Isuzu, just push the lever on the pump.

Else....

First, if you have a 5.7, 6.2 or 6.5, pull the fuel solenoid wire. It might work.

On early engines with mechanical pumps, you have to cut off the fuel. Either pull off or cut a rubber fuel line. You could quickly spin off a nut from a hard line. WOT won't hurt anything on a healty engine over a short time. In some states, that's how they smog them. If the governor is not working, it could rev until it floats the valves (really bad), but probably not. The timing is just not in its favor with Diesel.
Don't try to stop the air by any means. Air will find a way in, and it doesn't take much. Believe me. Serious injury to yourself our your rig WILL occur, and the engine will still be running.

On later engines with electric fuel pumps, pull the fuel pump fuse or the OPS wire. You all should be well aware of where those are. Then, open the top bleeder on the filter. If you do it in the reverse, big mess. If you pull the fuel pump fuse and it dies, you need to replace the pump, anyway. They WILL run without a lift pump, if the inj. pump is in good shape, but it shouldn't run away.

On much later engines, like the Duramax that has no lift pump, just open the fuel filter bleeder. It will die in no time. Don't get in too much of a hurry if you still have the OEM plastic screw. They don't sell that one without a new filter assembly. You could cut the rubber fuel line at the filter, but that's a "dealer only" item, and they will have to order it. Anyone that's installed a post-OEM filter should have an extra. You could splice it, but it's not standard tubing size, and not real flexible. Definately a temporary fix.

For those with a Duramax that have added a lift pump with a remote switch near the filter. It would be a good idea to install a 3 position switch (run-auto-off) that allows you to kill the pump also. Just a thought. Mine will have one soon.

If you have a Ford Diesel, just let it run. Call the neighbors and have a BBQ while it blows. Syphon out as much fuel as you can (too expensive nowadays).

If you have a Cummins, just let it run until you figure out the problem. It'll still be there.

Cheers