PDA

View Full Version : static

dusty613
10-01-2004, 07:58
I get static on my '84 6.2 when the injectors kick in. Down hill quiet, then static on AM and my amateur 2 meter radio when the engine picks up the load. Ideas? Thanks folks. Dan

captsolo
10-04-2004, 13:05
The injectors are always "kicking in". The most common cause of static is a bad ground somewhere. I was getting static in my radio on cold start-up that was coming from my newly replaced high idle solenoid. Try unplugging electrical load devices such as that and check your grounds for good connections.

dusty613
10-05-2004, 02:47
Thanks, I'll look at grounding.

TimK
10-05-2004, 06:34
On our mechanicaly controlled IP diesel engines, the most likely source for the noise you are talking about is the alternator. If you are running a tach that is connected to the alternator you might try a shielded cable. Another trick is to place a capacitor between the ground (the metal housing of the alternator) and the BAT post on the alternator. This will affectively take all the AC current and short it to ground. The DC current will not be affected. If there is any voltage ripple on the alternator output, the capacitor will help to smooth out the ripple. You need a big capacitor to make this work. You should be able find these sold as "radio noise filters" at Radio Shack or a place that specilizes in selling car stereo's. I have used a condensor (which is also a capacitor) off of a gas engine with a distributor that had points, that also worked.

If you have not made any changes to the vehicle lately and this problem just started, look for a bad ground connection as the previous post mentioned. Check for loose connections at the back of the alternator and radio. It could also be a sign a diode went bad in the alternator.

TimK

dusty613
10-06-2004, 12:00
Thanks so much. Those are some good ideas. I'll check. Dan