PDA

View Full Version : Steering Column Lock Problem

gskurka
09-02-2005, 16:16
My 1986 Suburban with a tilt-column wouldn't switch off today. The lock jammed in the "on" position. The lock would move to START, engaging the starter(zzzzing!) but not back to OFF. I pulled the wire on IP to shut off the engine and then disconnected the batteries.

What do I need to do to bring the lock assembly back to original specifications? Are parts typically available at a NAPA store or do I need to see my GM dealer?

How do I get this thing apart?

Dezman125
09-03-2005, 06:53
Hi
It's a simple job if you have the right tools,otherwise it can be frusterating and the potential of drawing blood.
You can get new lock cylinders with keys from Napa or GM.
You will need a steering wheel puller and a "lock detent plate pusher",not sure what the tool is called,but it is as important as the puller,it pushes the plate down that the steering locks too.After it is pushed down there is a small round snap ring that you can get at to remove then the plate will come off the coloum.
Then you can remove the blinker assembly and you should see the housing that the cylinder fits in,there will be either a screw or pin that holds the cylinder in.
There will be just enough play in the wires to move the blinker assembly to the side,be carfull don't force anything after you getr the detent plate off.
Simple job if you have the tools ;)