PDA

View Full Version : Swapping in a 6.2, need help

JHG
08-13-2005, 04:32
I am swapping a 6.2/TH400/NP241 in my 81 K5 (350/TH350/NP208).

The guy who sold me the engine did cut some wires and there are some vacuum lines missing. I have books about diesel engines (Haynes and some more)but I havent located a vacuum diagram. I have also been trying to find books for 6.2 on Ebay but it seems that they are not for sale at the moment.

It would be great if somebody can help me.

Thanks, Jon

john8662
08-13-2005, 21:51
The vacuum will actually be a snap, because the 6.2's don't make vacuum and don't need it like the Gas engines do for carb workings.

You'll find the vacuum pump located on the back of the enigne, exactly where you'd expect to find the distributor on a gasoline engine.

The general things that are run off the vacuum pump are the cruise control, TH400 vacuum modulator, and the inside HVAC controls.

On the engine you have now, you'll need a hose to start at the vacuum pump and then go to the transmission vacuum modulator on the side of the injection pump. The return line will run from the mod on the pump to the transmission itself. Besides that you'll have to find the hose that connects to inside the cab for the HVAC controls.

JHG
08-14-2005, 09:27
I am sure its a stupid question but what is HVAC controls?

BobND
08-14-2005, 10:30
HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning.

For the wiring... full 12-Volt switched "ignition power" to the larger flat tab on the injection pump, switched 12-Volt to the coolant temperature switch at the back of the RH head, wire from the other terminal on that switch to the other flat terminal on the IP (HPCA), and that wire also splits off to the fast idle solenoid.

(Newer engines may have that switch in the coolant cross-over.)

The other electrical system you will need is to operate the clow plugs. What glow plugs are you intending to use, and what controller?

85-m1028
08-14-2005, 13:40
what about the brakes?? are they hydroboost or vacuume powered??

JHG
08-14-2005, 23:48
I am not going to change the glow plugs because the engine has only 5500 miles and 1550 hours. If they will give me problems I will change it. I plan on using the controler wich is on the engine. If thats not working I will probably control it manually.

I did put a hydroboost system on the truck smile.gif