PDA

View Full Version : Air filter lid for 6.2 G20 Van needed, story follows.......

gavio
08-05-2005, 15:10
Sooooo, here's the deal:

A while back i posted about a problem I'd had with the recommended air filter not fitting in my van and getting scrunched, thus ruining the air seal. i could not figure out what was wrong until......

I had this loaner 6.2 pickup truck for a while and I took both air filters and put 'em next to each other and studied them......

and then I finally noticed (duh) that the air filter housing for the van is COMPLETELY different - it's so different I didn't even notice while i was busy looking for some little detail difference :rolleyes:

It's offset to the side to clear the A/C compressor and rests on a little spacer so the bottom drops differently and.......

but none of that explained my problem because it appeared that it should still take the same filter element......

until I noticed that the lid on mine appears to have been a victim of severe overtightening at some point and it actually drew the center of the lid down causing the outer lip to rise destroying its ability to seal. It may also, I suppose, have been stomped on by a wandering rhinocerous (I've heard of this happening) Mystery solved, except......

now I need a new lid and can't find one. I'm asking here because this may not be something anyone might notice in the classifieds - if anyone knows where a decent rust-free (by spoiled California standards) lid that hasn't been driven over by a tank or some such might be found, I'd appreciate the lead. i also need the mounting studs (they're longer than the ones in a truck and GM doesn't make 'em any more.)

Thanks for listening, as always......

john8662
08-05-2005, 16:08
I'm talking to a guy that's parting out a 6.2 van online, I'll see if he still has the air cleaner lid or box as a whole. I'm looking for the factory 90 plastic piece that connects to the radiator core and then to the air intake resonator. The van I'm borrowing is missing this piece, and I think that it would be capable of getting fresh air with it, more than it is now (smoke).

I know what you mean about the air cleaners being totally different though, as far as I know, the filter element is the same, at least the filter from my now not running truck fit the van perfectly last night.

Still driving the van w/o the doghouse installed (till I go buy NEW filter), have you ever done that? Cool sounding...

On Edit...

I KNOW where one is, one of the local diesel mechanics here in town has just the air cleaner assembly, I can call him on Monday if I don't catch him Sat morning (sometimes he's there) and find out what he wants for it, he'll want to sell it whole.

I don't know where to get the studs though, you can probably make some with some all-thread in a pinch though. The guy thats parting out the van will probably have them, if they're still good.

[ 08-05-2005, 08:33 PM: Message edited by: john8662 ]

gavio
08-07-2005, 16:11
Thanks, John, I'll await your reply.....

I haven't driven the van without the doghouse (a bit too LOUD for my tastes :eek: ).......

.......but I have changed the glowplugs in the rain without getting wet :D

Thanks again.

john8662
08-08-2005, 09:24
Gavio,

Called and found the complete air cleaner, He wants 20 for it, he doesn't seem to know if the studs were longer or not, I'll look when I go pick it up.

So are you interested in it? If so, I don't mind picking it up and shipping it to you.

email:

awesomechevyman at yahoo.com (no spaces, and use appropriate at symbol).

gavio
08-08-2005, 12:50
Email coming yer way - thanks John......