PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

crash9
08-05-2005, 10:14
I'm doing the fronts on my 86' and am wondering how they work with a piston just on the inside. Does the whole caliper float or something? I know this must seem stupid but this is the first time I've ever done disks on a US vehicle.

arveetek
08-05-2005, 10:43
Yes, the whole caliper is supposed to float back and forth on the two mounting bolts. The two bolts fit inside tubes that should move fairly easily, allowing the caliper to move when brakes are applied. Most of the US vehicles use pistons on just one side, although a lot of them use two or more pistons.

If the calipers don't move back and forth by hand, you need to address that before installing new pads, or the new pads will wear out quickly, perhaps even warping the rotor.

Casey

moondoggie
08-05-2005, 10:47
Good Day!

You are correct, sir! The whole caliper is mounted on pins, allowing the caliper to slide from side to side. When you push the brake pedal, the fluid pushes the piston & pad toward the rotor; when it hits, the whole caliper slides to move the outer pad against the outer surface of the rotor.

Whenever I do brakes, after I've removed the old pads & pushed the piston back into the caliper (I always open the bleeder B4 I do this, instead of pushing the old brake fluid back into the master cylinder & reservoir), I re-lube the pins with silicone lube & re-mount the caliper on the steering knuckle. I then confirm that the caliper slides easily back-&-forth. The I again remove the caliper, install the pads, & complete the brake job. Been workin' pretty good for me. :D

BTW, intersting handle for a fella with brake problems... ;)

Blessings!