PDA

View Full Version : tranny question

dmmotes
08-01-2005, 14:13
I am getting ready to buy a rebuilt tranny and the tranny shop recommended to bypass the electric tcc lock up. They said no wires and it would only lock up in OD. Any experience with this out there????

john8662
08-01-2005, 15:35
Leave it electric, this way you can add a switch to electrically engage the TC when you want to, or let the system do it.

The flaw I see in the configuration mentioned is that the TC will not be locked in Drive. Having a locked TC in drive helps to cool the tranny while pulling a load in drive, and it lowers the RPM about 150 RPM which is important with these lower revving engines.

Lightyear
08-03-2005, 03:00
John - how would one go about adding a switch to the TCC? Mine is currently disconnected, because it locks up in all gears, no matter what road speed. I checked the input to the TCC with a VOM. It read 12V +, unless I applied the brakes; then it dropped to less than 4V. I think either my ECM or TPS is flaky, but haven't tracked it down any further. I want to get lockup back, because my fuel consumption is down 2-3 MPG without it. Thanks, I;ll stay posted to this thread!

Buzz

Subzilla
08-03-2005, 07:31
On my '83, I just put a switch in line of the wire at the disconect switch at the brake pedal. I'm not sure about your other lock-up problems. It's usually the other way around!

opto
08-03-2005, 15:00
I think it's probably a problem inside the tranny, you could pherhaps call fourtgear to get his opinion. Great guy smile.gif

john8662
08-04-2005, 06:04
Lightyear,

What year of truck are you working on?

I'm familiar with the 82-87 old body 6.2's, haven't dealt with the later versions. I'll look in the book though..

arveetek
08-04-2005, 06:26
If you're getting a new tranny, then ditch the factory wiring and go with an aftermarket kit, like the ones available from Bowtie Overdrives. (http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/catalog/catalog.php?Action=GETSUBCAT&CATID=O) I have their kit on my truck, and it works great. It automatically locks up in 4th gear, but I also have a manual switch that lets me lock it up in 2nd and 3rd as well.

I have heard good things about the completely mechanical/hydraulic functioning lockup system, but I think the manual switch style works just as well. I beleive member HowieE had a hydrualic system on his old Suburban.

Casey