PDA

View Full Version : How do I drain water from the injector pump/filter?

dick6jane
04-26-2004, 12:53
"Water in Fuel" is lit...obviously affecting performance higher than 30-mph. What is standard procedure for removing water from fuel tank? What does one do with 30-40 gallons of contaminated fuel? What is the standard procedure for removing the water that the sensor reads? Thanks, Dick. :eek:

ropinfool
04-26-2004, 13:15
Which truck do you have? My 83 has a water seperator/filter mounted to the firewall, loosen the bottom petcock (with engine off) and drain until clean fuel comes out. There are also 2 other drains (I have dual tanks) one on each side in the forward part of the wheel well. Drain until clean fuel comes out. I also get the water in fuel light when my alternator is putting out too much ac voltage. Hopefully you didn't get too much water in your tank. Good luck. John

mirage
04-26-2004, 13:16
On my suburban there is a little petcock type valve on the passenger side of the gas tank that is for draining the water. There should be one on your vehicle, just hook up a tube to it, open it and syphon the water out until you see nice diesel coming out. For the filter, just replace it. Also, if I'm not mistaken there are diesel additives that absorb water (or maybe I'm thinking gasser stuff here) that could help with any you are unable to syphon.

dick6jane
04-26-2004, 13:43
Thanks very much for this information...I'll go do a little hunting and check back here. The truck is an '88 P30 Parcel Del.; 6.2L / DB2 w/the big rectangular filter. Behind the filter directly below the supply inlet is a 1-in., round well containing one or more electronic sensors; two wires to/from and then another bundle of three wires which also may go into this device...this time I'll take a flashlight. I assumed I'd find a bleed similar to the air bleed at upper-left of the filter housing, but can find none. There is a little .25-in. diamter button at the housing's bottom-right but it contains no screwdriver slot and I don't have the guts to clamp onto it and see if it's threaded.

britannic
04-26-2004, 16:06
On my 1985, there's pipe from the fuel tank that ends about a 3rd of the way across just under the rear of the cab on the chassis. It doesn't have a valve, but instead it's a rubber cap with a clip that has a thumb screw for untightening by hand. To drain water and fuel from the tank, I just undo the clip and pull the cap off with a suitable container underneath.

It really helps if the tank doesn't have that much fuel left in it :D ...