PDA

View Full Version : Hood Ornament

John Seaman
04-21-2004, 11:00
Does anyone out there have a line on where I might be able to get my hands on a new Hood Ornament for my 6.2? The local dealer says GM stopped carrying them. I have seen a few on Ebay, but they don't look much better than the one I have now.
On a side note, I was looking through the articles section under the 700r4 Build-up. Dr lee has a pretty sweet looking rig. Anybody know what his set-up is? I have a 2wd that I am thinking of putting a 3 inch Fabtech lift on so I don't feel like my butt is scraping the ground when I drive.

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2004, 12:32
You don't have many options with this. I would suggest having your local dealer try a nation wide locate for the ornament. Perhaps there's one in a warehouse somewhere. Other than that, Ebay or a wrecking yard is probably the only option left.

I have one in pretty good shape, but it's in use. If I removed it, the rest of the truck would probably desintegrate.

Dieselboy
04-21-2004, 12:57
If I remember right, the good doctor's lift is of his own design and build. That was done before everybody-and-their-brother was making two-wheel drive lifts.

CleviteKid
04-21-2004, 14:05
Lift an old 2WD? Well, the back end was easy, just install add-a-leaves from Superlift.

The front was more of a challenge. I designed and made ball-joint extenders for the top of the spindles (5"), spring extenders for the top of the springs, spacers to lower the lower A-arms with respect to the frame, and steering arm lifts to keep the steering aligned in three-dimensional space. I laid it all out in TurboCAD (could not find a program called NA-CAD) to be sure there would not be any bump-steer, and there isn't. Modified the shock mounts, found the correct longer shocks, re-routed the brake lines, re-engineered the sway bar links, trimmed the fenders and massaged the wheel-well trim to look stock, but actually be bigger. Added a steering damper. And there is probably some stuff I forgot, since I did this in 1993, eleven years ago.

Thanx for the compliments on my truck. I wish I could age as gracefully.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dvldog 8793
04-21-2004, 17:14
:D NA-CAD !!!! :D
Made me laugh outloud, Thanks Dr.Lee!!!!

Colorado Kid
04-22-2004, 11:25
TurboCAD vs NA-CAD :rolleyes: It took me three reads (what the heck is he talking about? :confused: ) to figure it out, then I also laughed out loud and nearly sprayed Pepsi on the keyboard.

Be careful reading posts by Dr. Swanger while consuming lunch! :D

bwana
04-23-2004, 00:55
John,
Chevy Duty (www.chevyduty.com) have Chevrolet bonnet emblems ($59.95) but I have'nt seen 6.2 litre emblems listed anywhere.

bwana
04-23-2004, 01:00
John,
LMC (www.LMCTRUCK.com) also list Bowtie hood emblems at $99.94 or $79.95 (fall sale price).

John Seaman
04-23-2004, 10:53
A few years ago I know there was a company that had the emblem for the 6.2L, but I can't find anyone that sells them now. I think the letters inside of mine used to be red, but now they are almost grey.

I have the LMC truck catalog and there is a lot of good stuff in there...

I will probably end up switching over to the chevy emblem, but don't really want to. I wonder if there is a way to get them reconditioned?

Low_Bridge
04-28-2004, 17:58
I've always thought that would be a great place to advertise something?

You political preference?

Favorite Beer?

Star of David?

The diesel Page?

OK it's kind of small.

Oh yeah I got one off Ebay - one side good, one side dull?

Can't they be hooked to the battery so if someone goes to swipe it they get shocked?

stelly909
04-29-2004, 07:22
Have you tried Cheyanne truck parts? They specialize in OEM parts for chevy trucks. I have there catalog someplace if you need the info. I can get it for you.

John Seaman
04-29-2004, 09:25
No, I haven't heard of Cheyanne Truck Parts. Do they have a website?

I like the idea of advertising. Maybe if I put the web link to the diesel page on there I can get free renewal!

stelly909
04-29-2004, 09:49
website is www.cheyennepickup.com (http://www.cheyennepickup.com) They specialize in 1960-1987 Chevy pick-up restoration. Maybe you help me out with my recently posted question regarding my fuel tank switching solenoid?