PDA

View Full Version : Stalling out

1bad383
07-04-2004, 20:03
My 94 as of late has been stalling out at the worst times possible, first in line at a busy traffic signal, for instance. I thought I had it fixed when I found out the lift pump was inop due to the OPS. Worked great for two days. Its back. Did it twice on the way home tonight. Stalled out, waited about five minutes and drove off... For about five feet! Gave it a few tries to get going, no dice. Few minutes later is started, with me pumping on the gas, and I got her home quickly. I replaced my FSD on a remote intake mounted 'cooler' about six monts ago. There is no SES light, only a '13'. Which is a good to go code. Is it another FSD, the pump starting to go :( , or something else. There is about 6 years on my current pump. 215k over all, unknown on the pump. Fuel filter is clean and fresh. Is there a trouble shooting tree where it will either shoot down a part, or at least give me a good idea? Or just change out the PMD? :D Sorry for being wordy, but I wanted to be as clear as possible. Thanks for your help.

damork
07-04-2004, 20:19
1bad383,
By your name, it appears you might have been involved with Mopars in the past?? or was it something else? I had a 340 (Roadrunner), 440 (Charger RT), and 426 Hemi in a Superbird before their values skyrocketed.

Anyway, with your stalling, you could be due for a pump, but it seems as time marches on the smarts are coming together to really start focusing on root causes. It really all comes down to ensuring fuel is perfectly clean, and the pump and controls get clean battery power.

Cleaning the grounds attached at the rear passenger head stud seems to be a big help. Verifying you have not worn out your ignition swith at this time is another possibility. A lack of full battery power can send temps soaring in the electronics module as they rely on full battery power or they cook.

Don't rule out checking your crank sensor as well. It sets down low and can get covered up with debris, oil, etc. Cleaning up the fuel by an additional pre-filter ahead of the lift pump can save you headaches as well. A relay to drive the lift pump instead of depending on the OPS to do it will give peace of mind.

Hope this helps.

1bad383
07-04-2004, 20:57
Damork, my screen name is from my drag race truck once had a 383 chevy, now a 434 small block. Should be intersting. :D :D Thanks for the advice.

1bad383
07-05-2004, 06:21
change to the change. I just jumpered the download port with a jumper, rather than the Autozone thingy and came up with some useable codes. Code 35, Injection Pulse Width Error (Response Time Short
DTC 84 - Accelerator Pedal Position Circuit Fault
DTC 99 - Accelerator Pedal Position 2 (5 Volt Reference Fault)
Where do I start the pedal or the '35'????