PDA

View Full Version : hard start when warmed up

B-S
07-25-2005, 18:11
howdy everybody, I am going crazy trying to diagnois a 85 suburban-6.2. I know you all have so much more experence than me.I have owned the truck for 3 years now and about 2 years ago replaced plugs,starter and one battery. then it was hard to start cold(it was winter).About 6-7 months ago a local service station put gas in the fuel tank,I drove it about 5-6 miles till It died. the gas station paid for the tow.Also new rebuilt injectors-glow plugs and getting the fuel system cleaned out at the chevy dealer. It idled rough. So I thought maybe it come out of it.The chev dealership told me it is a old truck-they cant do any more. they did a compression test and it was good. But they did not have any experience on 6.2's. Next I told the the service station I was not happy with the motor idle,it was not the same . So I took it to another shop and they replaced the injector pump (rebuilt)and it still had a miss in it. he said also you have a 20 year old truck. i asked him about the precombustion chambers being burnt from the gasoline, but when I talked to the gas station people they said they have spent enough money on this truck and said I have to have prove to them more damage. So ever since then It has been hard to start and it ate a starter. It starts up fine the first time and the glow plugs are cycling like 2 second start but after it warms up it dont get the starter rpm. So I took a 24 volt starter I put a nose cone and 12 volt soleniod on it.It works.I took the old starter back to Shucks for lifetime exchange. I checked the batteries they are good and cleaned up connections. Next I will put in the new starter-but the bolt holes are getting stripped-was thinking about tapping one 1/2 inch thread hole in it.Can I check the the glow plugs with a test light? Well thanks hope you understand my story. where is the temp sender for the glow plugs? i'll be riding my bicycle to work tomorrow- its a good thing. BS

britannic
07-25-2005, 18:42
Are you feeding 12V to the 24V starter motor? I'm surprised there would be enough juice to get it spinning fast enough...

B-S
07-25-2005, 18:52
I was given a 24 volt military starter with a broken nosecone. And I had a froze up 12 voltstarter for parts. So do you think this 12volt soliend and 24v armature spins slower? why is that? bs

britannic
07-26-2005, 05:47
Feeding 12V into a 24V starter motor is like a flat battery feeding 6V into a 12V starter. From what you describe, the only component getting the right voltage is the solenoid.

lake0026
08-08-2005, 16:58
i have an 82 6.2 diesel and had many a problem starting it when it was hot. it would crank slow until it cooled. i also has a 85 6.2 and it did the same thing. i have solved the problem. go to napa and spend -280- for a high torque starter off a 95 6.5. it has a gear reduction and puts a out a ton of cranking power. it damn near statrs cold with no glow. good luck