PDA

View Full Version : Water Sensor Indicator Light

porboyz
04-19-2004, 14:50
I have a 1988 6.2 (new body style) truck with a Stanadyne Model 80 fuel filter. The problem is the water sensor indicator light toggles on or off as it desires. I have tried a number of remedies starting with a new fuel filter, new lift pump and water sensor yet the problem remains. The truck runs fine otherwise. Any help is appreciated
Thanks,
Alvin

ropinfool
04-20-2004, 06:10
In my 83, I've had the water in fuel light do what you are describing a couple of times. Both times it turned out to be the alternator was passing too much ac voltage (one of the diodes was leaking by). For some reason the WIF light was extremely sensitive to this. Good luck. John

porboyz
04-20-2004, 16:40
Thanks for your suggestion John. My alternator light sometimes stays on longer than it should at start up then goes out when it chooses. I've replaced it twice and each time with a new unit they last a year or so then the same thing again. These are new from Pep Boys with a lifetime warranty. Maybe i'll try ac delco.

gmctd
04-21-2004, 03:56
Water in Fuel light also indicates high vacuum, as in plugged filter, or the supply line from the fuel tank is obstructed, bend pinched, crunched, etc. This includes the rubber hoses.
Could also be the 'sock' in the tank is dirty.

Turns on at 12" vacuum, iirc.

Or, a defective vacuum switch in the filter assy.

porboyz
04-28-2004, 21:17
Here's a reply from Jim Bigley:

Hi Al,

GM later removed the "Restriction gauge" from that model of fuel filter assembly. I suppose they were getting too much warranty service work that was due to problems similar to yours.

The gauge mechanism can be removed from the fuel filter assembly, but you'll need to drill/tap the hole to seal it. You might try just unplugging/cutting/capping the wires first. The circular restriction gauge is located directly behind the fuel filter cartridge.

Good luck,

Jim

dieselcrawler
04-29-2004, 04:52
I had a problem with the vac sensor on my truck, it was leaking fuel around it. I removed it, filled the hole with JB Weld (Some of the greatest stuff ever invented, thoes who have used it will know what I mean) and have had zero problems since then. Depending on your situation, it may be easyier than drilling/tapping the hole. Just make sure you clean things well, or the JB Weld won't stick. Good luck.

Greg