PDA

View Full Version : 97 cooling mods on a 84

mhagie
07-22-2005, 08:17
I recently got a 97 dual stat cross over complete on e-bay,has anybody done a conversion on our old style truck?.
If so do you have a template as what angle mods are made to t-stat outlet cover?
How about accelerator cable and cruise cable?is there room?
Also with dual stats do you run both at same temp or a 180 and a 195 together?
I already have the peninsular 110 gpm pump,thought this would go well with it.
Thanks in advance, Merle

Dieselboy
07-22-2005, 10:22
I did:
http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=002484

I used MP's design work on the t-stat output.

84 C2B2
07-22-2005, 11:26
I did one on my 84 CUCV years ago but the truck has evolved into a Silverado.

I have A/C, P/S, on the left bank off the engine which does not impose any restrictions to the manifold. I did need to cut off a bracket boss on the right side of the cooling manifold. I forgot if it was in the front or rear. Used a hacksaw and then filed it flat.

I use the 195* in both. I've had no problems with cooling and it does have a Banks turbo setup. The brackets for throttle and cruise if you have it will prove your biggest challenge. I would suggest getting an extra bracket so you can experiment. I cut my orginal bracket into two pieces and just kepp fiddling with it. Two important things. Angle and distance from the injection pump throttle arm. If the angle is way out of place it will bind and if too short or long - you get the idea.

I'm running the v-belts on mine. I beleive if you run the serpentine you will need to grind metal off the belt tensioner bracket. Once you cut the neck off the thrmeostat outlet I would suggest bolting the system all in place and make paper tmeplates of the angle you need so it won't interfere with factory A/C or brake lines. When I had mine done in 99 I felt they made the angle too low but wound up working perfectly.

I would also suggest once you have the water pump and backing plate off to check the condition of your timing chain gears and belt. Cheap insurance and makes for perfect timing to go to a gear drive.

Jeery

mhagie
07-22-2005, 16:29
Where do I find the design work on the outlet cover?
Is there a template for the angle cuts on the cover?

Dieselboy
07-22-2005, 18:48
Contact Jim. He'll be able to provide you with a drawing.

More Power
07-23-2005, 14:49
Yes, a self addressed and stamped envelope will get you a copy of the drawings.

I saw Jerry's truck last weekend at the Pull-Off. Nice work on the engine mods! I also liked the ceramic coatings used on many of the engine components. Your can see a pic of Jerry and his truck in the Pull-Off article (http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff05.htm). smile.gif

Jim