PDA

View Full Version : Road Trip essentials for your 6.2

shamanie
03-06-2005, 15:51
Wondering what you guys carry in case trouble hits with your rig while on the road....going on a road trip through southern nevada, s. california and n. california friday and would like to hear any good suggestions. What would you have for trouble with the truck?

The list then:

1. Fuel Filter
2. Oil Filter
3. Quart of oil
3. Replacement Belts
4. Rplacement Hoses
5. Shop Manual + DP Troubleshooting & Repair guide
6. Toolbox
-sockets, screw driver, ratchets, wrenches, pliers
7. Fuses & Wire
8. Jumper Cables
9. Spare
10. Jack
11. Fuel
12. Gloves (coat, even vegas can get cold at night)
13. Wheel bearing locknut spanner (4WD models)
14. 14 guage wire and crimp cables
15. Paper Towels(Hey, no need to make a bad day worse by messing up the interior)

[ 03-06-2005, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: shamanie ]

rugger
03-06-2005, 18:11
Well you of course know your truck and its quirks better than anyone. I usually have an extra fuel filter or 2, replacement belts, radiator,heater, and fuel hose, fuel conditioner, shop manual, and the DP trouble shooting and repair guide.

jcomp
03-06-2005, 19:13
Things always in my truck: Two sets of fuel filters and the tools to change them. A small craftsman toolbox (sockets, ratchets, wrenches) and cheap toolbox (pliers, screwdrivers, etc.) JUMPER CABLES. Fuses and wire. Tow strap, high-lift, shovel, 5 gallons of fuel, spare tire, gloves, and a coat.

I've had to use all of these items except the fuel over the last year, but my truck spends a lot of time off the pavement. Of all the items in my list, the spare fuel filters are by far the one I've had to use the most often while I was away from home.

NH2112
03-06-2005, 19:24
I'd like to add a few items to what's already been listed - wheel bearing locknut spanner (4WD models) or a socket big enough for the castle nut on 2WD models. Also a length of 14-gauge wire and some crimp terminals in case you have to jumper anything out to get the truck to start or run (fuel solenoid, glow controller, etc.) Diesel 911 if you're in the northern tier of the US.

86burb
03-07-2005, 00:39
On a road trip I load enough tools into my truck so I can do an inframe if need be( a little extreme maybe,but everything has come in helpfull at one time or another whether it be for myself or to helpa fellow traveller).
I also have a 4x6 carpet(alot more comfortable than laying under the truck on gravel),a 10x14 tarp(great for shelter), a portable booster battery pack and 12v work light, (4) 2ft 2x4's(handy for blocking/bracing/wedging), tie straps, zip ties, bungee straps, electrical/duct tape, pre-mixed coolant, fresh water, drain pan, jack stands, in/lb and ft/lb torque wrenches, first aid kit , fire extinguisher, JB-Weld(fixed a cracked rear axle housing on the side of the road one late night),multi-meter and of course coveralls. The suburban is sort of a garage on wheels. I also have a 28"x72" 500lb capacity utility rack that fits into the receiver hitch on the back(handy carry-all),it also doubles as a porch when put into the front receiver on the truck(makes for easier access to the engine bay).

waorth
03-07-2005, 10:51
adding to the above:

- all of the needed fluids (transmission, axles, steering, brakes, batteries etc.)

- set of glow plugs & GP relay

- 1 meter of fuel return hose & end cap

- wheel bearings

- small alternator parts

- bulbs

- oil filter (more for offroading)

- ax, shovel, saw

- rubber boots, rain cape

- assortment of wires

- rtv sealant

- u-joints

- b. f. hammer

Regards,
Walter

TimK
03-07-2005, 11:40
On a long trip I will take a gallon of Power Service fuel additive with me. It's handy for pre-filling a fuel filter, you can use it as a solvent incase you have to fix a wheel bearing and you can add some to the tank if you stop at a gas station that looks cheap.

TimK

Peter J. Bierman
03-07-2005, 13:31
All I have is :

fuel filter
ducktape
spare wheel
spare Turbo
and my credit card

But ofcourse my truck is in better condition then yours :D

Peter

Subzilla
03-08-2005, 09:08
Mr. Jim did an article on this very thing some time ago. See link: http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/tools.htm

It's good to see additional items that others keep in thier stash that I haven't thought of!