PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on ATS turbo

82 dieselburb
07-19-2005, 17:21
I just picked up a ATS turbo for my Jimmy.I'm running a Bank's on my suburban.
Does anyone here run a ATS 6.2? How does it compare to a Banks?

NH2112
07-19-2005, 17:32
I've heard it's a better system than the Banks, but a little harder to install. I've had one for about 5 or 6 years, eventually I'll get around to installing it on something....even if it's not my truck LOL

john8662
07-19-2005, 18:07
Same here, got one sitting in a box ready to go on the engine. Fortunatly (gotta look on the bright side sometimes) I'm rebuilding my 6.2 in my '86 pickup and will install the turbo with the new engine.

I've been told a few things on these systems.

The ATS will give you boost faster, but doesn't make that much boost, upper level of 7psi.

The Banks will have a little more turbo lag, but has the capability of making a little more boost, mainly about 9 psi with optimal pump injectors and timing.

I want the ATS on my truck because it's just a 1/2 ton single cab with a TH700 and 3.08 gears. I just want a little more grunt at take offs and for passing, which this one will do.

The only bad thing about the ATS turbo system now is that they have NO parts for these things anymore, so if you break it, you better be able to fix it, or engineer something. Believe me, I've called them, they all but completly deny making a system for the 6.2 engine.

82 dieselburb
07-20-2005, 00:45
Thanks for the replies.I also heard that they don't make parts for it anymore.I'd be happy if it spooled up quicker than the Banks.It is going on a trail rig that will be driven mainly off road.
I got a good deal on it .I payed $1000 for the kit new in the box.
Now that I got a turo I think I'll also add propane injection.It should make it alot more fun to drive. :D :D

john8662
07-20-2005, 04:46
So you're the one that won the ATS turbo on ebay, good deal, if I had the $ to buy new, thats the one to get.

82 dieselburb
07-20-2005, 13:31
Yea I got the ATS on ebay.Complete and brand new it the box for $1133 shipped to my door.Most good used turbo systems go for $800 to a $1000 on ebay.It will be nice to compare the ATS to the Banks in my suburban.

john8662
07-20-2005, 15:21
Do me a favor, and shoot some pics of your parts for the ATS kit. I don't have any of the exhaust so I want some visuals of how it's supposed to work, so I can get a local shop to make me something (before driving). I'm especially interested in the downpipe!

Thanks!

82 dieselburb
07-20-2005, 15:45
Alright I'll post some pics this weekend.UPS should be delivering it on Friday.

john8662
07-25-2005, 07:59
82 Diesel Burb,

If you wouldn't mind, since you have all the documentation and stuff that goes with this turbo, would you mind emailing me?

awesomechevyman at yahoo.com (no spaces and use appropriate at symbol)

I'm mainly intersted in the photos, and also how to affix the downpipe to the exhaust manifold (when you look at it you'll understand what I'm talking about). The main point is that I don't know what to connect it with, either using a band clam or the usual exhaust U clamp.

snoman87
07-25-2005, 08:50
I also have a ATS unit sitting on the floor waiting to go onto my 6.2 smile.gif I am going to put it on before I drop the 6.2 into my CC. I just have a few seal to replace

I bought mine used ... do you have any owners manual documentation you'd like to share?

82 dieselburb
07-25-2005, 17:43
I got the turbo kit on Friday.I'm having some issues with it.First the picture on ebay was a different style kit than the one I recieved.I didn' know ATS made different 6.2 kits.
Here is the pic that was on ebay
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/82dieselburb/d4_12_sb.jpg
Here is the kit I received
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/82dieselburb/Picture252.jpg
I email the sell.He said that he bought the kit several years ago and searched for a picture of a ATS turbo kit on the net to post on ebay and didn't know that it was a different kit.
Anyways I'm still happy with the kit.I'm not sure which application this kit was suppose to fit .The turbo mounts real low on the manifold and I had to notch about 3/8 inch off the top of the frame to clear the turbo.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/82dieselburb/Picture257.jpg
I'm going to make my own air intake.I really don't care for the air intake and filter box it came with.Plus it was designed to mount to the fender wells which I don't have any.I'm going to get a inverted AFE filter and custom intake tube.

Fiter and intake tube
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/82dieselburb/Picture254.jpg
The direction it came with weren't very helpful.It's just 3 pages of type text with no pictures.I don't think it would be any help to anyone.
Here is a pic of the turbo installed
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v131/82dieselburb/Picture256.jpg
I still need to intall gears in the axels ,buy drive shafts and finish the exhaust before I can test drive it

snoman87
07-25-2005, 19:18
mine looks identical to the one in the image ... I am wondering if yours if for a 6.5 application

john8662
07-25-2005, 19:34
Mine is just like the one in the ATS ad, with the HUGE exhaust manifold. The way my turbo mounts is above the valve cover, and the oil drain goes directly into the valve cover that you drill for (I'll use an electricians 1/2" sheet metal knock out) to make the hole.

Hmm, I was wondering what was up with the air box in the picture on the auction. I'll bet this fits the 6.2's in the 88-92 model trucks with the "newer" body style. I hate to see you go through all that trouble!

84 Convert
07-25-2005, 20:32
You've probably already thought of it, but I would definitely be reinforcing the frame where you had to cut it. Especially on a 'wheeling rig. Looks good!

Gregg

82 dieselburb
07-26-2005, 00:47
I was thinking that it is for a newer body style also.It's defiently for a 6.2 though,the box and direction said 6.2. I wonder if there is any performance differance between the two kits?
Since ATS does't make these kits anymore I can't get any information on these kits.
I'm planning on reinforcing the frame where I notched it out for extra strength.