PDA

View Full Version : No Glow light, won't start

gamerunner2001
04-12-2004, 12:59
My 1986 6.2 suburban started right up this morning, glow indicator light seemed to stay on a little longer then normal but it was cold here last night. Drove around this am, just went out to start it and no glow indicator light ever came on and I didn't hear any click, like when the glow light goes out. I attempted to start it, cranked and got white smoke coming out both pipes for a couple minutes after cranking it over. Replaced the glow plugs last summer, but didn't replace the controller. Maybe I answered my own question? Open to suggestions

Gamerunner2001

C.K. Piquup
04-12-2004, 13:17
I`m in the same boat(I currently have a simular post).Sounds like controller,hopefully didn`t fry those new glow-plugs.My controller still is operating(& light),but not properly.Caused my glow-plugs to fry(they weren`t new).Just picked-up 60Gs and controller today.Good Luck

kconnair
04-12-2004, 15:33
My '87 has a similar problem. I tried repeatedly (rapidly) turning the ignition switch on and off, and the system would start normally. Sometimes it takes 5 times or less, sometimes it has taken 40+. But I have always gotten it to start with the balky controller. I know eventually the controller will fail completely, but it is mostly a solenoid, and they will respond when balky with multiple engagements.

Hope this helps some.

Kevin.

gamerunner2001
04-13-2004, 16:43
Problem== controller!!! replaced contoller and glow plugs with a set I bought last summer from Kennedy
The beast is running like a top! Funny, I just returned to Minnesota from a trip south through Texas into Mexico to Puerto Vallarta and back up the coast to Arizona and eventually home, not a single problem til I parked it in front of my house but that problem is history. Thanks for the imput

gamerunner2001