PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump change

nape
04-11-2004, 20:52
Help guys,I had my fuel pump rebuilt and turned it up about one quarter turn. Truck cranks but runs horrible. Won't idle at all misses as rpm is raised. Is it too much fuel. Smokes like crazy. I have to leave Tues. morn early for Penn. to pick up another Sub. I need to know what to try. I am going to research the site for help but don't have much time to play around tommorrow. Nape

nape
04-11-2004, 21:40
I have researched the site and am wondering if I just have too much fuel. I think I will try removing the top of the pump and turning the pump back down to where it was set originally. The truck stalls immediately when you let off the accelerator. I tried the time everywhere and the farther advanced the better it did but still not good. The old pump ran fine just leaked sometimes out by the throttle shaft. I can't think of anything other than new pump is just turned up too much. I have to do something first thing in the morning. Nape

nape
04-11-2004, 21:58
Back again. I removed the triangular plate on the driver side of the rebuilt pump while it was on the bench and found the allen screw inside and turned it clockwise less than a quarter turn. I found on the site search to take off the top and remove or pull out the govenor spring and screww to turn up or down the pump. Which is correct and or are they the same just different access? it seems the top would be the best while the pump is installed. Nape

dieseldummy
04-11-2004, 22:25
It's the same screw, to turn it down thought it needs to go counter-clockwise. to turn it up go clockwise. You might try contacting the rebuilder in the morning, it sounds as if something may have been done wrong. Have you verified that you lined the IP gear up to the cam gear? I don't doubt your mechanical ability, but if you have luck like mine that would be the best place to start.
Justin

nape
04-12-2004, 05:36
I thought the pump gear and the cam gear would stay meshed together. I haven't checked that and don't know how without removing the timing cover and water pump. I have changed three pumps before and no problem. Is it possible to get the pump 180 out? The pump dial pin in the wrong hole? nape

ropinfool
04-12-2004, 06:16
The pin on the pump needs to go into the slotted hole not the round one. I'm not sure if it'll run if it's in that position. To turn the pump down counter clockwise is the correct way. The screw is the same one . Good luck. JOhn

britannic
04-12-2004, 06:40
The pump will only bolt onto the gear one way, so don't worry about that. Also, you'd need to have the timing cover off and physically remove the gear to skip teeth - so that shouldn't be your problem either.

Turning up the pump doesn't usually affect idle quality, although I've had to turn the idle speed down a little. It is possible to tighten the fuel screw enough that the plunger spring causes some binding, but in my case it only limited top fueling and had no effect on idle.

I recommend you check your timing before any more pump adjustments - you may be too advanced.

Another possibility is debris got into your pump and/or inj. lines during the installation/adjustment process.

It's also possible for a replacement pump to go bad.

Does it miss on all cylinders, or just a few?

Does the engine buck?

How loud is the rattle at idle?

Where are the timing marks - aligned, advanced or retarded?

nape
04-12-2004, 07:32
I have tried the timing all the way from one to the other and inbetween, runs better advanced but still not right. The miss is not on all cylinders but I haven't figured out which ones. The miss gets better or the engine smooths out some at higher rpm but that is probably centrifical force. I don't know what is going on. nape

nape
04-12-2004, 07:35
OH yea i forgot to mention that it runs like it is starving for fuel or something. You have to hold it to pretty high throttle setting or won't run. At idle it begins to surge wildly and soon dies, if not immediately. I have never had anything like this before. The old pump cranked and ran fine just leaked a little fuel sometimes out the throttle shaft. Is a quarter turn too much on the fuel screw? Nape

britannic
04-12-2004, 07:39
Originally posted by nape:
OH yea i forgot to mention that it runs like it is starving for fuel or something. You have to hold it to pretty high throttle setting or won't run. At idle it begins to surge wildly and soon dies, if not immediately. I have never had anything like this before. The old pump cranked and ran fine just leaked a little fuel sometimes out the throttle shaft. Is a quarter turn too much on the fuel screw? Nape Only if the EGTs are dangerous.

Hindsight: adjust a new unknown pump only after it's installed and running.

Did you bleed all of the air out of the system yet? It can take a few miles before all of it is purged in certain instances.

You may have to remove the pump and get it checked over.

Did you replace the injectors at the same time?

nape
04-12-2004, 07:57
No I didn't replace the injectors have never done that before. I am going to turn the pump back down and try it. I will check here later for more info but I SURE DO APPRECIATE THE HELP!!!!! This site is super for shade trees like myself. Wish me luck. Nape

nape
04-12-2004, 10:12
Latest update, I have turned the pump down one half turn from the original pump shop setting. The truck will idle now but can't take the fuel as you raise the rpm. I have the timing advanced all the way to the stop. When I do that truck doesnt seem to want to shut down without removing shut down wire from pump. I am going to try and turn the pump down another quarter or two and must make a decision then whether to install old pump. Sub. must leave here at daylight for Penn. Thanks for all the help and will check later for additions. Nape

britannic
04-12-2004, 16:37
The symptoms are certainly bizarre. Have you ever removed the governor top cover? Turning the fuel up or down shouldn't cause the problems you describe. I recommend pulling the pump and getting it checked over - it no longer sounds safe or serviceable.

You mention that it no longer shuts down without removing the pink wire? This sounds like an electrical malfunction - check to see if the pink is still carrying 12V when you turn off the ignition key.

nape
04-12-2004, 18:53
Hey Brittanic, thanks for all the help. I turned the pump down a full turn from pump shop and truck wouldn't even crank. I turned it back up enough to crank but still would not run correctly. Nothing seemed to help except advancing the time. This did not allow the engine to run normally though. Gave up and put the old pump back on, gave it a quarter turn more fuel and a J intake it runs great. I may have the time a little high but cranks and runs great. I leave in the morning for Penn. and when I get back I will be back at the pump shop. Thanks again. If you ever need parts they are cheap for used ones around here. I LOVE THIS SITE!!!!!!!! nape

nape
04-12-2004, 18:55
Brittanic you were right it was a ground broken going into the wiring harness, that fixed the kill switch. Thanks again. nape