PDA

View Full Version : Water pump: New or rebuilt?

bmiszuk
02-26-2005, 15:12
I bought an 83 Suburban a few weeks ago. Now I'm going through the front of the engine, replacing balancer, water pump, and timing chain. Also had a leak in the radiator fixed. It's so much easier to do all this work at the same time. The timing chain had a ton of slack in it (engine has 130k on it) and the balancer had the rubber oozing out of it.

All the local parts stores only carry rebuilt (not new) water pumps in the 4-hole style (referring to the # of bolts that hold the fan on). Generally I try to avoid buying rebuilt water pumps since the cost of new is usually not that much more. In this case they're apparently not available.

The water pump that's in the truck now is not leaking, and has GM cast into its body. I assume it's geniune GM.

Should I go with a rebuilt pump (they're about $30), reinstall the old one, or ... ?

CleviteKid
02-26-2005, 16:12
I would not take the risk of re-installing the old water pump. Does your local Chevy or GMC dealer have new AC-Delco pumps available at a "reasonable" price?

Good rebuilt pumps get a complete new shaft, bearing and seal - only the housing and the rotor are reused. So if the bearing and seal are good quality, and the rebuilder knows how to install the parts, a good rebuild is as good as a new pump. But, I don't know how you tell a good rebuild from a piece of junk. Go with NAPA's best, maybe?

Dr. Lee :cool:

arveetek
02-27-2005, 19:42
I installed a remanufactured pump in my engine when I overhauled it 120K miles ago. It's worked flawlessly, and never leaked. I'm only replacing it now because, like you, I have the front of the engine torn apart. I'm going with another reman pump this time as well.

You sure can't beat the price.

Casey

bmiszuk
02-28-2005, 06:16
Yah, with a rebuilt for only $27, it's hard to beat the price. The new ones are $60-70. I haven't called the dealer yet, I'll just put a rebuild in. Cardone is the brand name that commonly sold in the parts stores around here.

Robyn
02-28-2005, 07:27
I just replced the pump on an 84 Blazer 6.2 and the local Napa store only carried New ones and they were multi bolt pattern (4&8) the cost was about $80 but well worth it to my way of thinking. I have had toooooooooooo many rebuilts go sour waaaaaaaaaaaay to soon. I would go to the GM house and buy a new GM one before I would go rebuilt. They never start leaking at home its always 200 miles out in the middle of nowhere.
:0)
Robyn

Brianlar
03-01-2005, 22:29
I just did the water pump on my van, $15.00 rebuilt Autozone pump. The dealer wanted $200.00. Napa wanted, $150.00, Whew, now If I could only get the block heater to stop leaking.

bmiszuk
03-03-2005, 20:22
posted by CleviteKid:
I would not take the risk of re-installing the old water pump.This was good advise you gave there, CleviteKid. After removing it and upon careful examination, I see the old pump shaft wiggles around in the bore. I am glad I am replacing it. I'm a little surprised it hadn't started leaking yet. I just got the new one ready to install today and should be able to finish up this weekend.

posted by arveetek
I'm only replacing it now because, like you, I have the front of the engine torn apart.Casey, now you're scaring me! Your project has turned into substantially more than you thought. :eek: Hope mine doesn't turn into the same sort of deal! ;)

arveetek
03-04-2005, 06:53
Originally posted by bmiszuk:
Casey, now you're scaring me! Your project has turned into substantially more than you thought. :eek: Hope mine doesn't turn into the same sort of deal! ;) Well, if I had simply just removed the front cover to install the gears, and dropped the pan to install the stud girdle kit, I wouldn't have ever known that I had a broken ring and worn cylinder walls. My engine was running just fine the way it was, other than the pesky lifter noise, so there's no telling how long it would have kept running. Still, knowing now I had a broken ring, it's a good thing I found out now, instead of later on down the road when something else would have failed!

I wouldn't be too worried about it.

Casey