PDA

View Full Version : Fuel filter mount leaking

mdregister
02-25-2005, 19:30
I have a leak at my fuel filter. I replaced The filter tonight, but it is still leaking. The leak does not appear to be coming from the lines attached to the filter mount. The actual drip is falling from the middle of the bottom of the filter where it contacts the filter mount. Of course, it is difficult to see the fuel actually seeping out.

I have read on this forum that there is a "switch" behing the filter that can leak. What does the switch look like, and what part do I ask for??

Thanks,
Mike

BobND
02-26-2005, 00:29
There is a diaphragm pressure switch behind the fuel filter, to sense filter restriction. The diaphragm is held into the filter base with a spring clip affair, that doesn't always do a good job of holding it in tight. With the filter removed from the base, you can push the clip in tighter. If that doesn't stop the leak, you'll have to either replace the whole base, or remove the diaphragm switch and drill and tap the hole behind it for a plug. Of course, you'll lose the functionality of the filter restriction switch, but a new filter base ain't cheap, and AFAIK, you can't buy parts to repair it, just the whole base.

NH2112
02-26-2005, 02:24
There's an O-ring that fits in a groove running around the edge of the pressure switch. When mine started leaking I just removed the filter base from the firewall, popped the switch out, and stretched a new O-ring around it. Lube it up good with silicone grease and pop it back in. Mine's been leak-free in the 4-5 years since I've done this.

mdregister
02-26-2005, 05:52
ThNKS FOR THE REPLYS, I will check out that o-ring tonight.

Mike

Dezman125
02-26-2005, 08:06
Hi
I had a diferent leak on my filter housing.When you look at it with the filter on,on the left side on the bottom there is a small metel push in plug. Looks likw a small frost plug.On mine i guess it acumilates some water and sludge,and had coroded it enough where it would seep diesel while it was running.I taped this hole and installed a pipe plug,1/8npt i think.
I was hoping that fixing this leak would end my hard starting problem,but there is still a leak somewhere,after sitting overnight it dosn't start any better,when the weather getts better i will continue the search,or just install an electric fuel pump