PDA

View Full Version : Howdy

Dvldog 8793
04-05-2004, 12:50
New to the 6.2 ownership world. I have had a 6.5 for 3 years and am a regular on that forum. I just got a 84 6.2 Chev van with 120,000 miles. My main experience with the 6.2 is 6 years in the USMC, 2 of that were spent as a motor transport chief. questions I have for the general populace:
(1) Any chronic problems that these motors have? (like the injector pump on 6.5s) :mad:
(2) what seems to be the best performance mods excluding a turbo? I want to keep this one breathing on it's own! :D
Thanks in advance1
L8r
Conley

CleviteKid
04-05-2004, 13:52
Hi Conley,

Welcome to a step backwards to the 6.2L world.

As a 6.5LTD owner, you know most of what you need to know, like the timing chains will stretch. On our 6.2L engines, we need to watch for block cracks around the main bearing webs.

For non-turbo performance, just click on DR. LEE'S HOTROD (http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng.htm) for a lesson in applied non-turbo thermodynamics. Stay tuned for more non-turbo fun as I add some vitamins in bottles in the bed of the truck :D

Dr. Lee :cool:

Dvldog 8793
04-12-2004, 12:54
I just picked up the "84 6.2 and drove it from west Nebraska to north Minnesota. Ran like a champ! The owner had logged in 120,000 miles of oil changes, parts AND every gallon of diesel! The truck seems brand new.
Does anyone have any advice on what oil should be used? The book had stated hd30. I'm used to running 15-40 in my 6.5 and all the 6.2s that I worked on in the Corps were 15-40. Did the civilian 6.2s have anything different that would require straight 30 oil?
Also the owner said that the pump/injectors were upgraded to the 150hp version. Is this a common upgrade? It already has dual exhaust all the way. Any gains in changing that to straight pipe? Obviuosly it will sound cool :D

Thanks again!
L8r

CleviteKid
04-12-2004, 13:11
Hey Conley,

Sounds like you got a real deal on a well-maintained truck. Congratulations.

Back when our trucks were made, 15W-40 was a new concept, and 30-weight was the tried and true oil. As I have mentioned before, GM does NOT send me a new visor sticker each time API upgrades the diesel oil specs, but that does not mean that you should avoid the new, better oils. In fact, since our trucks were built the industry learned that the rollers in the roller lifters need some extra help from the lube oil, and every grade of oil since CG-4 has included testing on an example of our engines to prove the oil will protect our lifters.

So . . . use 15W-40 from a reputable blender (Shell, Chevron, Mobil, Castrol are all good) with AT LEAST the CG-4 rating, and preferably the CH-4 or the latest CI-4 rating.

Upgrading the pump is a common improvement. The trucks came from the factory with duals, but the joint between the exhaust manifolds and the pipes is pinched down. The restriction is one of the things my exhaust adapters http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/avanteng20.jpg
eliminate, and they allow 2.5" pipes to replace the stock 2.25" pipes. But I went bigger, with 3" pipes and mufflers all the way back. My truck is loud enough with the DynoMax SuperTurbo mufflers - straight pipes would just be ticket-magnets.

Dr. Lee :cool:

dieselcrawler
04-12-2004, 20:13
I'd have to agree with the good Dr, straight pipes might be a bit loud for normal use... I have 2.5" duals with glasspacks on my truck, and have to go real easy on it when I'm in town... if I don't, I think you could hear it in the next county. If my truck spent more time around people, and less time around dirt and trees, I'd worry about it. But as the tow truck at the local mud bogs, and the idiot who will try to climb anything I can get a tire on, it works. Most people don't beleave it's a diesel judging by the sound of it at the exaust pipes... I've had to open the hood a time or 2 to show them. "That sounds like a big block..." **grin** LOL... one that smells funny!
At any rate, I would recomend mufflers of some type if you don't want to wear ear plugs while driving. Enjoy your new van...

Greg

dieselcrawler
04-12-2004, 20:17
PS... I noticed little to no change in the power level, useing the 'seat of the pants' method of testing... Went from the stock type large round mufflers, 2.25" duals to 2.5" glass packs...
Greg