PDA

View Full Version : Thanks for the great info!

84 Convert
02-19-2005, 22:42
Thursday I finally got the K30 started after over a year of being out of commission. Thanks to everyone who has had problems and asked questions so I didn't have to. Also thanks for all the great answers that helped keep me out of trouble.

My formula for success: 2 new batteries, 1 good starter, 2 tons of patience (letting the starter cool), pressure in the fuel tank to get fuel to the filter, crank and bleed to suit.

One comment I must make is regarding the percieved compression in this engine. With glow plugs and injectors installed, rotating the engine with a wrench it felt like there was very little compression. However, the night I chose for starting it was near freezing and the white smoke cleared up after about a minute of running. Apparently piston speed makes a big difference. My 454 had much more compression on the stand than did this motor.

Once again thanks to all!

Gregg

p.s. sorry so long

TimK
02-21-2005, 07:44
This is good news.

About the feeling of zero compression; It's not uncommon for an engine that has sat for a very long period of time to have all of the oil drain off the cylinders or for the rings to stick in the piston grooves. A little high speed cranking will usually fix this.

TimK