PDA

View Full Version : Brake Light Problems

cschneider
12-11-2003, 15:19
I finally got the suburban back and I have no brake lights. The fuse was blown so I tried to put a new one in and if fried that one too. Obviously there is a short but I wanted to run it by you guys before I do anything. The curious thing is that when I turn on the lights I think both the tailights and brake lights go on. Only one bulb is supposed to light up on each side when you turn on the headlights correct?

NH2112
12-11-2003, 17:34
It might sound silly, but I'd check to make sure the bulbs aren't put in 180 out. Sometimes the bayonets on the bulbs are worn enough to allow them to be put in backwards, and both sets of contact buttons can touch. Turning on the headlights backfeeds the brake light circuit, and vice versa, causing a fuse to blow. Other than that, all I can suggest is the usual stuff - check for corrosion in the sockets and wiring, good clean grounds, crossed wires, etc. A good place to start is the 4-wire connector that should be above the gas tank on your truck.

cschneider
12-11-2003, 22:05
Actually that doesn't sound silly at all and I think that might be it. I seem to remember when I put the bulbs in last time that I was confused as to which way they went in. I'll check it out tomorrow.