PDA

View Full Version : Glow plug how to

Flat57
02-19-2005, 13:58
I haven't seen a post on this yet (there are probably lots), but is there some trick for getting to the glow plugs on my 85 suburban? I don't know much about the engine yet. It looks liked they are accessible below the exhaust manifold, are they difficult to get to? I have read about them breaking off, can they be extracted if they have swelled up, or should I just assume I need to remove the injectors too and use a vacuum?

Any help appreciated. My daughter and I are going to tackle this on Monday.

John.

Robyn
02-19-2005, 14:12
Use a deep socket on a small ratchet. go easy and iff need be use some penetrant in and around the glow plug element, replace with some never seaze compound on the thread area.

Subzilla
02-21-2005, 09:12
If they are the AC 9G's, they might be swollen. Anything else and they will have carbon build-up but shouldn't be swollen. Removal simply involves some persistant twisting and tugging motion with pliers to work of the build-up. Don't get too anxious as each one might take a few minutes to pull out once you've unthreaded them. You should have access to all of them with a deep socket unless you have a turbo. Then I've heard that side can be a little more involved. I just did my 8 (non-turbo) a few months ago and it took about 1.5 hours. If the any tips break off, you can fish them out through an injector hole with the old grease-on-the-finger trick. Good luck.

gavio
02-21-2005, 11:16
I replaced all eight of mine without any difficulty a couple years ago - they were all of indeterminate age, but old enough to be worn out - all came out easily.

Did it again on a buddy's pickup - only did the 6 we could get to readily as we just needed to get him back on the road - once again, all came out without undue difficulty in spite of being very old and burnt out - none of them were 9Gs, however.

Anyway, they can be difficult as many here can attest, but they may well be easy - it's just that most of us aren't in the habit of making a post when things go the way we think they should :D

Good luck!

Flat57
02-21-2005, 15:40
I'm pulling off the body, and then it should be pretty easy to get to the glow plugs. We got the fenders and front off today. I also purchased a turbo (used ATS system) and received it today :D Not sure how to install it, but I don't have to worry about that for a while yet. This project will take a while.