PDA

View Full Version : Pump Timing

Cabasa
12-10-2003, 05:14
I finally got my truck started after installing a "new" pump. Ok I will admit it I went the cheap route and bought one from a guy who wasn't completely sure if it was rebuilt. I was risking it I know.
Anyways I get the thing started with the marks on the pump and houseing lined up. It smokes like crazy and doesn't want to idle. I figure it is airing itself out, but after a few minutes of holding my foot into it I realized it was more than that. So with the little knowledge tinkering with VW Diesels I adjusted the pump a little at a time and got it to idle and not smoke as much with the pump turned all the way to the right as you look down on it. I test drove it and it smokes way more when I accelerate than before.
I am guessing it is all in the adjustments of fuel and timing? My book says the marks have to be lined up. It starts right up everytime with no problems. I am positive the gears are lined up right cause I painted marks on them when dissassembling.
One more thing, the IP was not the exact same model as what was in before. The only visible difference was the vacume operated positioning switch I changed out for the electrical switch. Book says Van model. Needless to say I will not drive it till it is 100%.
Thanks for any advice

CleviteKid
12-10-2003, 06:29
I test drove it and it smokes way more when I accelerate than before. Was this BLACK smoke on acceleration? If yes, then you have a turned-up pump that is putting in plenty more fuel than the air can handle. You need an Exhaust Gas Temperature (EGT) gauge in place before you fry a piston or head gasket.

You have the timing pretty close if it starts easily and without a lot of WHITE smoke on startup. If you get a lot of diesel rattle and it sounds like a PowerStroke, then you have advanced the timing too far. You are correct in concluding that when you change pumps, there is no guarantee that the proper timing is with the marks aligned.

Let us know if you need some instructions in cutting back the fuel to reduce the black smoke and keep EGT under control.

But . . . does it run better while making that black cloud :D ? ? ?

Dr. Lee http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/xmas/wbaum2.gif

PS, I expect Britannic will have some sage advice on this topic, also.

britannic
12-10-2003, 07:12
Advancing the pump too far will also cause a lot of smoke. Make sure your return lines aren't restricted as that can retard the pump's timing as well.

An IP that has been turned down too much, won't idle properly either.

Verify your timing with a meter, also check your cam chain wear, as this will have a big impact on the engine's idle and power.

If the IP's condition is unknown and you're still having problems, you may want to get it's calibration checked.

Cabasa
12-10-2003, 17:50
It was white smoke. I thought about that today and realized I forgot to put that in.

Also I went to start it today and nothing.
I read here on the Diesel page trouble shooting guide that if it is white smoke then it is either timing, air in the system or the injectors. The only thing different is the swapped out pump so I know it is not the injectors. So that leaves me with air in the system or timing.

The pump is adjusted all the way to the right if your looking straight down at it. It almost acts like if it were a gas engine I could pull the distributor and turn it back one tooth.

Is there anymore to the timing than just adjusting the pump left and right?

Thanks again, you guys are a big help.

britannic
12-10-2003, 18:28
The IP itself may need rebuilding if it's old or has internal problems. Do check the return line for restrictions (hose on top of injector pump, test for pressure - it should be less than 1psi). How's the cam chain?

britannic
12-10-2003, 18:34
Did you check for restriction in the IP return line and for cam chain wear?

White smoke can be caused when the timing is too retarded.

Cabasa
12-11-2003, 16:44
Britannic,
Thanks for the help. I haven't checked the timing chain yet. It had none of these symptoms before so I am pretty sure it is the pump. Thats what I get for getting in a hurry and wanting it now instead of being patient and buying a rebuilt pump that was a sure thing.
I'm tired of playing around with it so I am just going to order a pump from the guy everybody on this forum recommends.
I'll keep you posted on my next pump adventure.
Thanks