PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter- Cooler

Craig M
04-01-2004, 12:02
A current post is discussing the 2 quart oil filters. I have seen in the JC Whitney catalogue a device called an oil filter cooler. It is an aluminum fined item that attaches to your oil filter. Uses a screw clamp to "attach" the aluminum fined cooling devise to your stock oil filter. Is removed when you change your oil filter and attached to the new filter. Is there enough heat on the outside of the oil filter to allow this devise to cool much oil? It has solid aluminum around the filter, and fins projecting radially from the solid piece. The unit looks like it could disipate heat, but transference to the piece and heat available on the outside of the filter are question I have. Anyone try this or a similar devise?

NH2112
04-01-2004, 19:10
I don't think heat would transfer very efficiently from the oil through the steel filter case and then into the aluminum cooler sleeve. The sandwich-type coolers, that go between the filter and filter boss, would probably be much more efficient. Are you having problems or working the truck hard enough that additional oil cooling is required?

Craig M
04-05-2004, 12:25
Not having any problems. Just like keeping the oil cool to prolong life. Supplementary oil coolers are a sure way to get extra cooling. This bolt on cooler option is relative cheap option, but I agree that the actual heat that would get disipated would seam to be small. Of couse the JC Whitney flyer states huge decreases in ooil temperature, but they also sell magnets that increase your fuel milege by 20% !!

Turbine Doc
04-06-2004, 06:00
Craig
I was looking at them myself Jegs and Summit also carry them under heading of cool collar, probably won't net that much heat reduction but for $21 what could it hurt, probably something you could easily fab yourself if you could find the material for a lot less.

Now a plus is a remote mount kit with 2nd bypassing filter adds about an extra 2 qt of oil, lends to easier filt changes and filts are away from the engine, mine are under drivers floor board in cool air stream so I'm confident there is some passive cooling there also every little bit helps.

CleviteKid
04-06-2004, 10:37
I am of the same opinion as Tim - a bypass filter not in the hot air from the engine and radiator is a good way to add both capacity and cooling.

Same with an external transmission filter - adds both capacity and some extra cooling if placed properly. Yeah, I have one of those, too.

Dr. Lee :cool:

RaptorMan555
04-29-2004, 17:02
I am building a 1980 GMC 4x4 crew cab dually and changed it to a 6.2/Banks with TH400. I got a new oil cooler from GM for the 6.5s and mounted it in the same place in front of the radiator. Used my old cooler lines and took the solid line off the flex line and had some flexible lines made from there to the cooler. Not on the road yet but close so I'll see how she does.