PDA

View Full Version : Don't know what to do-6.2 or 350

cowboy
02-13-2005, 18:09
I currently have a 1981 C10 w/ 250 I6 and a 1984 K20 (C6P HD) w/ 350 and 700R4 tranny.

I'm currently in a major dilemma.

My original plan was to put a flatbed on my 84 for work (farm/ranch) but I'm having second thoughts. I have had this 84 for about a year now and it has about 178,000 miles on it and it is in really good shape; a few small hidden rust spots here and there but otherwise it is a really nice truck.

My dilemma is first its in really great shape and I don't know if I want to take off an almost perfect bed and put a flatbed on it, second I'm a little weary of towing much with any automatic transmission but the 700r4 seems to not really be a transmission up to the task (mine was rebuilt a few years ago) third I currently spend about $260 a month on gas ( I get 10 mpg and it doesn't matter if it is uphill, towing, downhill, town or freeway it is always 10) the 350 I'm guessing was hopped up a bit when they rebuilt it in 96' because it has a good amount of power and will tow whatever I need it to. Most of my towing is just to deliver hay or move cows, etc so I'm not towing long distances.

So I was looking at some other ideas, I have always wanted to own a diesel pickup, and I know it would probably save me close to $100 a month in fuel. I really like the 80's Chevy p/u (not to mention about the newest truck in my price range lol) but the 6.2 engine scares me. I'm fairly confident that I can get another 150,000 miles out of the 350 and if something does go it will be cheap to replace. If I end up getting a 80's 6.2 it seems like chances are a lot greater of needing a new engine or atleast heads at some point, which will cost a lot more than the same parts for a 350. Also I don't own any metric tools and haven't worked on many diesels so it will be more likely that I will have to pay someone to do work on it (The deere engines just never seem to have any problems so haven't had a chance at work to work on them). So looking at those issues and the fuel $ savings seem to be negated.

Also the 6.2 doesn't have any more power than the 350 so that wouldn't seem to be an advantage.

So I'm also looking at maybe a 90 or so F-250 7.3, but I would hate to have to start driving a Ford.

I guess the point of this post is will the 6.2 give me the reliablity and power of the 350? Will it last as long as a 350 without major engine work?

I just wanted to get some ideas and words of wisdom. thanks for your help

NH2112
02-13-2005, 18:39
My experience is that a turboed 6.2l offers more torque than a 350 and that the seat-of-the-pants feeling is one of more power. You'll definitely get much better fuel mileage, and both longevity and reliability will be better. As far as metric tools, you won't need anything more than 15mm, 16mm, and 19mm wrenches and sockets. Personally, I don't think there's anything a 350 can do that a turboed 6.2l can't do just as well and using a lot less fuel. I say go for the diesel.