PDA

View Full Version : CUCV mains

SimonUK
02-12-2005, 17:22
Hi guys.

I read in a post a while back that the cucv engine blocks have a high nickel content. Does this make the cucv block less susceptible to cracking or should I fit the stud girdle kit.

My cucv is twenty one years old and has only done 55k, 14 of them in the last 6 months since I bought it. the only thing that spoiled the 14k is the cost of fuel over here.

Thanks for any advice.

Simon

britannic
02-12-2005, 19:48
Yes... the military knew what they were doing when they set that specification; so you probably won't need a stud girdle kit, unless you install some serious power mods :D .

SimonUK
02-13-2005, 00:50
Hi Britanic and thanks for the reply.

There may be some mild power mods but nothing too drastic. In the main I'm more interested in improving fuel economy as diesels hovering around

britannic
02-13-2005, 06:34
Is that dyed paraffin ;) ? How is it working out? The original CUCV IP was designed and hardened to handle kerosene/paraffin, as well as jet fuel and one or two other things the US military may have lying around.

SimonUK
02-13-2005, 10:33
Just a little drop in power is all I've noticed :( . Starts and runs just as well as if it was on diesel. Doesn't even need the heaters to start when its warm :cool: .

Also looking at another source of paraffin for 85p a gallon :D :D :D . Thats less than

Peter J. Bierman
02-13-2005, 12:27
I am sorry to spoil your optimism but I just located a cracked CUCV engine.
Just a very light crack in one of the mainwebs.
And as you all know, this is how it starts.
So CUCV engines do crack too :mad:

Peter

britannic
02-13-2005, 16:24
Peter, that wouldn't be your ultra twin turbo, high output engine, would it?

Originally posted by Peter J. Bierman:
I am sorry to spoil your optimism but I just located a cracked CUCV engine.
Just a very light crack in one of the mainwebs.
And as you all know, this is how it starts.
So CUCV engines do crack too :mad:

Peter

Daan
02-14-2005, 08:21
He might be talking about my CUCV engine...
I took the engine apart after it gave up a bottom end bearing wich destroyed my crank :( . I checked for cracks in the center mains and found this one:
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid158/p804cc26eda5b3531127c569cf5c0cb30/f521746e.jpg

I was planning a rebuild and asked Peter for some advice.
The crack starts at the sharp edge and doesn't go through to the bolt hole.
All the other mains are crack-free.

Now I don't know what to do; go ahead and rebuild or get another block.
Anyways, the CUCV mains do crack, only I'll never know if it's because of the turbo wich I only drove with for a couple of hundred miles.

[ 02-14-2005, 08:04 AM: Message edited by: Daan ]

Peter J. Bierman
02-14-2005, 11:35
No Brit, as far as I know my engine is still in one piece smile.gif
But I have not been in there for a wile :rolleyes:

Anyways, as all members should help each other, I found a CUCV engine for Daan, so we might be able to have his baby back on the road for a fair price :D

Peter