PDA

View Full Version : What's realistic cost for exhaust?

bmiszuk
02-12-2005, 15:10
My Suburban has an intact dual exhaust system but it's LOUD! The mufflers that are on there were deliberately installed by someone who liked n*o*i*s*e :eek: The problem is that it's embarassing to drive around the neighborhood and when I get on it while driving around town (like to accelerate to get on the highway) it sounds like someone is shooting guns.

Local exhaust shop wants $210 to cut out the existing mufflers and install quieter universal mufflers along with new tailpipes. The exhaust before the mufflers is 2.5" and after it's 2.25".

If I'm going to spend $210+ anyway am I better off putting a larger system on there? I don't have money to burn here and maybe I should be happy with a $200 fix for this. When I search online for older 6.2 exhaust systems I come up pretty empty. What did you all spend on your exhaust systems? Is it possible to get something reasonably priced? I'm willing to install myself if I can find something suitable. Otherwise I'll head to the local shop and painfully drop a couple of bills.

bcf
02-12-2005, 17:52
I'm also interested in a new exhaust. My shortbed has 2" duals, and the passenger side is rotting out. I went to Meinike and they wanted $500 to replace both sides, with factory pipes and universal mufflers. And of course that's if they don't find anything wrong with the manifolds. No thanks, I'll keep looking.

I'm wondering if instead of***ut replacing one side when the truck gets inspected, if it would be worth having both sides replaced in a bigger pipe, for a little more towing power. The truck is totally stock.

KEVIN MUNCASTER
02-13-2005, 15:16
Just my 2 cents, but I installed the Banks Stinger kit, 3" single with a BIG, I MEAN BIG, single muffler. With the mods to the air breather and the BIG single, it sounds sweet, runs much better, and now I only have one set of pipes to worry about. It was pricey, but I think well worth it. Was $699.00 US, including a pyrometer and K&N filter, breather mods, etc.

It has a different sound than the old duals, but I really like it. The intake roar is a bit intense when you stand on the loud pedal, but it is reasonable if you go a little easier.

I believe my fuel econ. is up a bit and the fun factor is way up. Just put the J code intake and dual idler kit in when I put it away for the winter !

C'mon Spring !!!!!!!! :D

dieselbegreat
02-13-2005, 16:27
I got the same exact kit as Northern Wrangler. True factory dual exhaust can be restored with factory style pipes (not the thin, guaranteed to rust out Meineke junk) but for a couple hundred more you can get the newer technology Banks Stinger Kit for around $700 shipped. It comes with a pyrometer kit. Whatever you get, I highly recommend painting the pipes real good with hi-temp paint. Unfortunately, good exhaust plumbing is expensive.

warp_foo
02-14-2005, 07:16
I just had dual 3" exhausts made at a local shop. Including a crossover, Magnaflow free flow mufflers and using aluminized steel, the cost was $750.

nathan71
02-14-2005, 08:22
I had 2.5" heavy walled aluminized pipes installed on both of my trucks by the same guy. On my '98 ext cab gasser, custum bent duals from the cat. converters to behind each wheel for $180 (its very loud) about 2 years ago. On my '87 6.2, new duals from the manifold to the bumper with blanks installed for $230 about 5 yrs ago. I really like the sound of it, its not as harsh as my gasser and only loud when I'm really pouring the coals to it. I painted all of the welds, and there is really no sign of excessive wear. My gasser is a daily driver on the roads in Ohio and my diesel sees alot of bad weather and mud. It doesn't have the technology that a Banks system might have, but for the money and the small performance increase, I'd say it was worth it.

warp_foo
02-15-2005, 15:15
Originally posted by warp_foo:
I just had dual 3" exhausts made at a local shop. Including a crossover, Magnaflow free flow mufflers and using aluminized steel, the cost was $750. I suppose I should mention that that price also included replacing the headers.

bmiszuk
02-15-2005, 17:20
$700 is not possible right now for an exhaust system, there's other things that are more important. I'm going to try to get new mufflers and 2.5" tailpipes, that should get me by for now.