PDA

View Full Version : Problems with cruise control

Jim P
02-15-2005, 19:13
I took a trip in my truck from Ohio to connecticut over the weekend. I was pulling a 2,500# empty trailer on the way up and got 16 mpg. On the way back, I was hauling a 4,500# milling machine on the trailer and got 14 1/2 mpg. There is not a hill between Ohio and Connecticut that I couldn't pull in high gear and hold 70 mph. The truck ran excellent. The only problem was that the cruise would drop off every once in a while. It would not work for a half hour or so and then it would work again for a while and then drop out again. Does anyone know why it would do this?

a5150nut
02-15-2005, 19:20
Mine was doing that too. But it was turning on the service engine soon light. Turned out to be the FSD going south.

gmctd
02-15-2005, 20:28
Brake switch needs adj, or is faulty?

Barry Nave
02-16-2005, 05:25
Mine has done that before while towing. Stop as rest area let cool,shut down,Eng cooled down and when restarted the cruise worked. Again when hot the cruise went off. I think the fsd was getting hot for soon after the fsd failed. Towing with new fsd no problems. Have not towed my TT for such a long trip sence. It was a hot day when this happend. So I backed down from pulling 75mph to around 65-68 and all went fine from there on. Now a night driving I could drive at 75 with no problems. Lots cooler.

Jim P
02-16-2005, 13:50
I will check out the brake switch because when it started dropping out, it was usually when I hit a big bump or pot hole in the road. I imagine that I also have a clutch switch because if you depress the clutch, this will also shut off the cruise.

On the way home it was raining and usually the cruise shut off when I turning the wipers on or off so maybe it is something in the turn signal, cruise lever.

I hope it is not my fsd. I sure wouldn't think it would be getting hot. The temperature was about 40 degrees and my fsd is mounted on a cooler in front of the radiator.

Marty Lau
02-17-2005, 08:25
Jim;
If the switches don't solve the problem check and see if steering wheel position makes a difference. If it does you may need the wiring harness that the turn signal and crusie goes into replaced. This happened to me and then it wouldn't click on the high beams. I had a Chevy Truck Tech replace it, Flat rate is 2.8 hours but it took him just about an hour to change it. He told me that the 94-96's are real bad about needing changed.

MikeC
02-17-2005, 17:01
Jim,

My Burban has dropped out cruise at different times for 2 different reasons. First time it did it the Draw Tite Mod-u-lite HD (which is relays in a box to take load off of the light switch) had a melt down and shorted to keep brake lights on. The second time it was an intermittent problem and it turned out to be the brake switch. It would do it after hitting a bump so I tried to keep my toe under the pedal and this made it happen less often. If I wiggled the pedal back and forth while pulling up on it with my toe it would also cause the cruise to kick off.

I bought a replacement switch at Auto Zone IIRC.

Mike