PDA

View Full Version : gas torque converter

mutlu
02-11-2005, 11:47
Hello from Istanbul,
We swapped my 350,4L60E with 6.2,700R4 in 1995 Tahoe.We applied Bowtie TC lock up kit w/towing option.700R4 came from a V6 gas army truck,but I couldnt find any diesel torque converter around Istanbul for 700R4.What bad affect does the gas converter in a diesel operation?If it does bad affect to trans.life or performance,I will buy it from US.
Thanks for suggestions.

arveetek
02-11-2005, 11:56
I wouldn't worry about it. I've been running a gas torque converter behind my 6.2L for over 100K miles. I bought a used 700R4 from the salvage yard, and it was behind a gas V8. The only real difference in them is the stall speed. The diesel TC has a lower rpm stall speed than the gasser. I actually prefer that. Most of the stock diesel trucks I've driven seem to lug the engine too much.

I don't know if there are any other differences being it was a V6 converter, though.

I don't think it can hurt the transmission. Worst case scenario is it will fail sooner under the increased torque. So if you still haven't installed it yet, now would be the time to change it.

Casey

mutlu
02-12-2005, 04:18
I also have a trans temp gauge and it seems around 140 F in town,120 F in HWay,it comes to around 180-190 F while to climp up the hill w/o tc lock up.But weather is about 28-35 F here now.Does high stall tc produce more heat than lower stall?I mean that I saw so many posts which indicates the most critical issue is heat in the 700.
Thanks