PDA

View Full Version : Air Starter

cschneider
12-03-2003, 23:49
I think I asked this question before the whole server explosion but thought I might raise it again. Is there anyone out there that has any information on running an air starter? I know bigger diesels typically run them but don't know if there are any that people have seen on light trucks.

cowboy832
12-04-2003, 06:52
I have never seen any on a pickup, but I have used them on drilling rigs. Almost all of our mud pump engines and draw works engines had air starters. It sure was a pain when we went to rig up and had no air in the tanks...then the winch/pole truck wouldn't start (our only back up air supply). I would guess it could be done if you could find one that would bolt up to the block, and match the flywheel, and could supply enough air to it, and could keep the air supply free of water(esp. in colder climates), and could stand the noise of it.

Turbine Doc
12-04-2003, 11:44
I don't think they would be very practical on our trucks volume of air required is pretty substantial. We use them on turbines at work, and I've seen them on large stationary and propulsion Diesels, but air there comes from a high volume compressors, or a HP air compressor into a big bottle with a reducing station to go from hi pressure to high volume.

Also there is a duty cycle with most pneumatic starting systems I'm familiar with, x minutes on for 4x minutes or so off, high rotational speed develops heat to the starters turbine bearings that has to be accounted for, unless you have a continuous lube starter.

Running out of air is always a concern, I see many hydraulic starters out there to circumvent running out of air which might be a more viable option for us, no duty cycle but where to get one small enough and what would the power pack requirement be to develop hydraulic pressure in sufficient quantity for a hyd starter.

Peter J. Bierman
12-04-2003, 14:33
There are two way off using air to start a diesel engine, the use off an airmotor like on big trucks and medium size statonairy engines and the way the real big diesels do, put air in the cylinders at the powerstroke.
On small diesels like ours there is not much to gain exept for the fact you will probably be the only one who has one.
The down side is allready mentioned.
And what if you run out of air?
Most cars and trucks can help you out with a jumpstart, with air you need something with a compressor and a suitable conection to help you.
Besides the fact we don't have a compressor on board, it would not be very practical.
It would be cool to have one though

Peter

Craig M
12-05-2003, 20:49
There was an air starter for sale on ebay a few months ago that was listed as a bolt up for the 5.7 GMC diesel motor. Like others have said it would be kinda neat to have an air start small vehicle motor. There are pleanty of air compressors around to fill air tanks these days. The air shock and air bags set ups have lots of options for aircompressors. Air tank would take a bit of room. The ones for the big rigs were about 8" diameter by 2.5' long or so if I recall. Your jump start would be local air chuck at the garage. The sound when an air starter starts is definitly distinctive. Very high pitched and distinctive. You will remember it once you have heard it.

Peter J. Bierman
12-07-2003, 15:20
Well, don't let other people thoughts stop you,
If you want one; GO FOR IT !!

Good luck Peter

mhagie
12-07-2003, 16:34
We have a V-12 Detroit Diesel powered emergengy generator in the back of our shop with 2 air starters, when that sucker starts it scares the bejesus out of a guy.
Starts quick tho.
I agree with the concept of "DO IT" It would be fun being the only one around. :D
Merle