PDA

View Full Version : Hard starting-improves with gravity?

tennessebiod
09-27-2004, 19:37
I'm a relatively new diesel owner(6 mo's) and have fallen in love with my Sub , but don't have much money to spend on it. The problem - hard starts after sitting overnight- lower temp's seem to make it worse - but the bigger factors are if parked on an incline with nose downhill- starts great to okay --if nose uphill -long and smoky belching starts. Also it seems to start better with a full tank but the wonderful thing gets such great mileage 17-20 that it often goes 3 weeks between fill-ups. I have replaced the fuel filter no improvement and upgraded to AC-60G glowplugs -no diff. From the troubleshooting guide it seems I may have a air leak on the return side.
As an aside what is up with diesel prices -before I bought my Sub it was 10-12 cents cheaper than gas but now with every tank it goes up now I'm paying 15 cents more than gas? 1.949 here in Tenn.
Thanks for any advice
Chris

TimK
09-28-2004, 06:36
It sounds like you have a weak fuel pump or a bad check valve in the pump or a fuel leak. The fuel pump is located on the side of the engine on the left hand side (passenger side) towards the bottom. If you are looking at the engine with the hood open, look for the bottom radiator hose on the left side of the engine. It runs right in front of the pump. Having the truck point nose down or a full tank places more fuel pressure on the pump.

TimK

tennessebiod
09-30-2004, 05:05
Thanks Tim,
I'll try a new pump a report back on any results.
Chris