PDA

View Full Version : help! electrical problem.

Dauber
09-25-2004, 20:11
Ok here is what happened. After adjusting a front speaker I installed because it had a short in it. I took my 83 burb for a ride. All of a sudden the low coolant light came on as well as the water in fuel light. I could smell something buring (like wires). I checked under the hood and no signs of anything there. So I continued home (only about a mile away). I got it home and shut it off and it has been dead ever sense. I pulled the dash all apart but could not see any burned wires. When I turn the key I get nothing. No seatbelts lights and such. It will not turn over. The headlights still work, as does the horn and dash lights thats about it. I checked all the fuses and they are still fine, reset a relay by the fuse box, still nothing. Did I fry my ignition? any help would be welcome.

NH2112
09-26-2004, 12:58
I'd check the fusible link down by the starter and the connections at the starter first of all. Then follow that wire up toward the diamond-shaped junction block on the firewall, and from there through the firewall plug to the ignition switch. It sounds like everything that's powered through the ignition switch is dead, and that generally means a problem along the circuit I mentioned.

Dauber
09-26-2004, 22:03
Thanks NH2112,
I took a quick look by the starter tonight and found 2 fusible links- both fryed. I have two new ones and I am going to try and fix it tomorrow night. I am still going to try and find out what caused this by following the wires back. There is alot of electrical tape around the fusible links and the wiring close to the starter. Someone did some patch work. Could a short in speaker cause this? I dont think that is the connection, but will keep looking. Thanks for your help.