PDA

View Full Version : Freeze plug Removal

Rod@Night
02-10-2005, 06:38
HAve one leaky freeze plug...Tried using a punch a little bigger than a pencil and just poked a hole in it..Can I heat the plug up a bit with the torch to see if that helps me get the plug out or just use a pigger punch and beat it up pretty good?

TimK
02-10-2005, 06:57
Do you have enough room that you can use a slide hammer on it? Using a torch on the plug itself would cause it to expand which may make it worse but it might also break the rust loose. I doubt if you will hurt the engine.

TimK

Rod@Night
02-10-2005, 09:44
Perhaps...I have seen but never used a slide hammer. What attaches the hammer to the hole? Just a threaded tip on the slide?

john8662
02-10-2005, 11:52
You will need a bigger punch. Or you can use a 1/2" rachet extension and a hammer. Just start punching to one side until it starts to come out. I have found that most times the plug ends up going inside the engine, I then fish it out and then take a pair of channel locks to pull it out of the hole while it is in sideways.

catmandoo
02-10-2005, 15:22
yep thats all we used in my dads shop.1/2 extension and a hammer.sometimes they will turn sideways then just grab em and yank em out otherwise ya got to fish for em.