PDA

View Full Version : New IP still not starting

Cabasa
12-01-2003, 05:21
I just installed a new IP and was wondering if there is a certain procedure to getting the thing bled and started. I tried yesterday with no luck and all I did was kill the battery. One injector was cracked, but never seen a drop of fuel. What am I doing wrong here? I am certain that it is timed right because I did it the long way and removed the front cover and marked the gears. Also the fuel filter was replaced too. The previous owner installed an inline hand pump to help bleed the system. Is there a bleeder at the pump that can be cracked so when I use the pump it will clear out?
Thanks in advance for any help.

catmandoo
12-01-2003, 05:44
timing has nothing to do with it if your not getting fuel.do you have the wires on the pump correctly, pink wire,to energize pump solenoid.crack the return line on the top front of the pump and see if you have fuel there.sometimes these can take a while.i had one that took forever i finally had to loosen the fuel pump and pump it manually ,if you can get to it pretty easy it sure saves the batteries and starter.

britannic
12-01-2003, 06:54
Go to the troubleshooting guide in the member's reference section and check out the notes on bleeding an airlocked pump and injectors.

These are the steps I take when bleeding an IP and inj.:

1. Open the air bleed on the fuel filter (connect it to a clear hose running into a container)
2. Loosen all of the injector line nozzles at least two turns.
3. Remove all of the glow plugs and disable the GP controller by unplugging it
4. Make sure the pink wire is connected to the front IP terminal
5. Spin the engine for no more than 30 seconds and then wait about 2-4 minutes for the starter cool down
6. Repeat #5 until fuel is seen spurting out of the air bleed on the filter.
7. Close air bleed and repeat #5 until fuel starts weeping at the injectors
8. Tighten all of the inj. line nozzles to 20lb/ft, except #7 and #8
9. Reinstall glow plugs and connect them up.
10. Repeat #5 and the engine will probably fire on 4-6 cylinders
11. You can stop the engine at this point and tighten the last two nozzles.
12. The engine should start and run, albeit rough for a while until the last of the air is purged out of the IP and inj.

CleviteKid
12-01-2003, 06:58
Another stupid mistake (which I made once) is to crank without power to the IP. It will not send fuel to the injectors without 12VDC on the pink wire on the top of the pump.

IF you promise to be careful, you can wrap enuf rags or masking tape or whatever around your compressed air gun to make it seal against the fuel filler on your diesel tank, than apply a LITTLE air pressure to help ease the fuel up to the IP.

Also, you should have at least two injector lines cracked open about 3/4 of a turn to bleed the IP. Four is better, eight is fast but not necessary.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Cabasa
12-01-2003, 21:29
Thanks guys for the help. I was getting a little frustrated the other day. Not to mention the constant voice (wife) in the background saying sell, SELL. I will try the procedure layed out and get the thing going.