PDA

View Full Version : HELP------700R4---No Shift

ZZ
11-30-2003, 16:18
I drove my truck on a 100 mile trip last night. It sat 4 hours and when I was ready to come home the glow plugs wouldn't come on. It had just enough warmth left that it finally started.

The tranny didn't want to shift after driving 85 miles when I got off of an interstate. I had to move the shift lever between the gears to get it to shift. After sitting overnight, it wouldn't shift out of low at all today.

I got up this morning and found that the 10 amp ECM fuse was blown which kept the glow plugs from working. I think this fuse also powers the overdrive. This leads me to think that I may have drove the truck about 85 miles between 65 - 70 mph without overdrive.

Could I have burned the tranny up? Am I facing a rebuild? The fluid is a little brown looking, but it doesn't have a burnt smell.

britannic
11-30-2003, 20:47
If it stays in first, you may have a stuck TV boost valve. Sounds like the fluid and filter should be changed, if it's brown. Dirty fluid can cause the TV boost valve to stick.

One trick you can try, is start the engine and let it idle. Chock the wheels and have an assistant stand on the brake pedal. Then get your assistant to shift into each gear whilst you yank the TV cable several times for each shift position. This will sometimes get it free.

If you change the filter, you'll have to drop the tranny pan anyway, so use the opportunity to drop the valve body and clean out all of the valves.

A great forum dedicated to your tranny can be found at: 700R4 Forum (http://bbs.netgearhead.net/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=700r4)

ZZ
11-30-2003, 21:17
Thanks for the reply and the link. I posted this problem there as well.

I don't feel like tackling this myself. I'm going to talk to a couple of our local shops tomorrow to get some quotes & etc.

ZZ
12-02-2003, 06:58
Update: I took the truck to a transmission shop yesterday. The tech took it on a test run. He brought it back and it was shifting well. He said that if I'm lucky that it will be Ok, otherwise I will have to rebuld it. This shop charges $849 on a 700R4