PDA

View Full Version : Convert my C 6.2 to a J

Petrella
11-30-2003, 08:09
Hello guys i recently rebuilt and restored my 1988 chevy 6.2 which originally has a C motor. The truck used to be a c1500, but since it got into an accident two years ago, the frame got bent, so i purchased a used frame from a 1997 c3500 6.5TD that was in an auto wreckers. The frame came complete with front wheels and 14 bolt Full floating axle. So now as my truck is currently a 1 ton, i wanted to know exactly what i have to do in order to turn my C motor into a J motor. The engine has 90,000 original miles on it (used to be grampas ride, sat in the garage all the time) and my service engine soon light is constantly on. The code is egr related i forget the number, i think its 32. Anyway, to convert my c into a J do i only have to install a J intake? My truck smokes like crazy at idle, but when i go down the road its crystal clear. I know if i change the intake ill still have the ses light on indicating the egr system is not functioning. Secondly, to take care of that, can i just remove my C ecm from behind the glove and go to the dealer and purchase a J programmed ecm? will this solve the ses light problem??? What are the advantages and power differences in performing this conversion? is this all i have to do?

thanx
Anthony
--------------------------------------------
1988 Chevy 6.2 Diesel 2wd 3500
1994 GMC K1500 6.5 Banks TD

whatnot
11-30-2003, 10:33
Since the transmission isn't electronic, I don't think the computer will do anything except maybe run the speedometer. Once you put a J intake on it, you should be able to remove the vacuum pump and all egr parts.
I would just remove the SES bulb since it won't do any good anyway.
I think there is a difference in the heads but don't think it would make that much difference.

Also, if you are interested, I have a spare non-egr intake that I would sell.

Petrella
11-30-2003, 16:24
if that is true than why does my 1988 gmc 3500 cube van with a J motor have a vacuum pump for????

whatnot
11-30-2003, 16:50
It probably has vacuum controlled hvac controls. The c/k style truck have electric so they don't need a vacuum pump unless they have an egr system (or turbo for 94+)

Petrella
11-30-2003, 20:22
ahh i see, the reason why i didnt want to disable the ses light is because if there is another problem i wont know about, this way if it comes on i can still track the problem, also i dont want it on all the time cause it will drive me nuts. thats why i thought of the J programmed ecm

whatnot
11-30-2003, 21:59
I think that it should be possible to put a resistor in the map sensor to make the computer think there is vacuum.
I need to do it on my '93 to get the light to go off. If I get it to work, I will let you know. It has an electronic transmission so it does need the computer.(might be a while till I get to it though)
I don't know what the light will tell you though. The transmission shouldn't have any computer controlls and the engine is all mechanical. It might control the cruise control, glow plugs and speedometer but it might not? (anyone know?)

I don't know if a J computer would fix it but it can't control anything so it won't make any difference for power or anything.