PDA

View Full Version : Timing adjustment and turning up the IP

dieselcrawler
09-15-2004, 06:11
Hey all...
Now that I have the K-5 with a 6.2L in it, and it's not a daily driver (by a long shot!), I want to play with the settings alittle. I don't have a timing meter, and was just going to do it by ear, as far as the timing goes, and turn up the fuel a little. This truck is just a play toy, so I can tinker with it, try it, and just walk away when I need to and come back later...
Where should I start, what's going to give me the most seat of the pants feel, and how will I be able to tell if I over did something? What will it sound like/act like if I turn the timing up too much? If the fuel is turned up too much, you get black smoke, and higher EGT's, right? So, alot of black smoke, and climb the hill to my house, and I might end up with some holes in the pistons?
Any advice you want to send my way would be great... thanks!
Greg

Stray Cat
09-22-2004, 11:59
Start with the mark aligned. As you advance, you get more "seat of the pants" performance, but it also starts harder and runs louder and rougher. As you retard, you get smoother and easier to start. If you adjust with just the IP, you shouldn't be able to do any damage. I have had mine from end-to-end of available adjustment. Turning up the fule will give you more power, but more heat too! Move a little bit at a time; it makes a big difference! Let me know how it goes.

AndyL
09-22-2004, 14:59
I believe you have part of that backwards! Advancing the timing makes it easier to start, part of the reason why GM added the cold start advance solenoid.

84 Convert
09-23-2004, 21:05
Don't go too far on the timing! I thought all was well until I pulled my heads. I had adjusted the timing to compensate for a stretched chain...apparently I went too far; several of my pistons showed heat stress cracks. I have not adjusted fuel rate on this motor either. I suspect the problem was caused by pulling heavy loads with too much advance.

Gregg

dieselcrawler
09-25-2004, 15:13
How much is too much? Does the clatter at idle change, if so, what are some warning signs I can listen for to avoid damage? Isnt' that all the cold advance does, kicks up the timeing? Does it advance it enough to hurt it, and if not, that would tell me that I could move it enought to where it might sound like it does on "high idle", right?
I haven't had time to fool with it at all in the past few weeks, been too busy with work. I hope to find some time soon to actuly do something about all this, and not just dream about it while I'm checkin' out the Diesel Page! Thanks...

Greg

84 Convert
10-17-2004, 22:58
Like you, I've been too busy with work too!

If I remember correctly, it wasn't quite like the cold advance sound, but deffinitely a louder rattle than what it had to begin with. if I had it to do over again, I would install an EGT gauge, and likely look for a timing meter. My timing chain was very loose which may have played havoc with my timing.

Sorry about the extremely slow response!

Gregg