PDA

View Full Version : 83' 6.2 in 86'

snoman87
02-05-2005, 13:55
So what parts am I going to have to change when I take a 83' Jimmy 6.2 "c" and install it into a 85' 3/4 truck "j". I have the "J" intake and ATS turbo to install.

Is it a plug and pay thing or will I have to change such things and injector pump, cruise control module etc.

john8662
02-05-2005, 21:03
The only thing that I can see as being a problem between those years is what transmission you are going to mount behind it. The Jimmy engine will have the TPS for a 700R4 on the injection pump. The J code engine most likely for a TH400. But you're going with a standard right? The only other differences I can think of right now would be the fuel filter system, and how the fuel supply lines route on the engine itself, what filter system are you going to use?

Besides that, you are correct in bolting on the J intake and then throwing on that ATS turbo (I still haven't gotten to install my ATS turbo yet either).

snoman87
02-06-2005, 20:44
I was planning on going with the 85' fuel delivery system. I'd like to have the best system for the winter as 3 months are +10 and below. Which do you think is better 83' or 85'?

Probably going with the manual as I have all the parts but I'm also toying with the 700R4 for the OD and the fact it would be an easier swap. I am putting a new cab on the truck and it's a 2wd auto, I'd just have to cut out the floorboards for the 208 shiffter. I am sure I will decide a couple weeks before the swap!!!! Ultimately I'dd like to put a NV4500/doubled 203/205 combo but that's a few years down the road.

john8662
02-06-2005, 23:36
Go with the fuel system that came with the 85, that the model 80 fuel system. To do this you'll want to use the metal lines on the engine that came from the 85 on the 83 engine. The routing of the lines is different on the 82/83 fuel filter system. Because this system used a primary and secondary fuel filter system, in two filters. But the Model 80 used just the one square filter mounted on the firewall. I'll look at some of my engines to make sure you have to swap the lines, it's been awhile! Last one I did was an 86 in an 82.

If it were me, I'd go with the TH700, but if you're considering the NV4500 then go ahead and convert to standard, it's a matter of how much work. I sure know I've got a mountain of projects stacking up right now...

TomEichenberger
02-07-2005, 06:56
A few thoughts on the conversion:

-If I'm not mistaken, the flex plates are incompatable between the 700R4 and The TH400.

-The Chevy trucks with the NV4500 had a hydraulic clutch(mechanically and hydraulically, it might be a bear to retro this into the old body style). The Dodge NV4500 had no hydraulics, but I don,t know if it can be made to bolt up to the 6.2. Might be worth a phone call to Advance Adaptors out on the left coast.

Tom

snoman87
02-07-2005, 18:45
I will see if I can get the fuel lines from the 85' engine. The engine is not part of the deal so I might not be able to.

As for trannies, the 400 is out or the question primarily because I don't have one and don't want to buy one!!!! I guess the 4spd will do for now. I already have a hydrolic clutch so that's not a concern. If I get a early 90's NV4500 with external slave I might have driveshaft clearance issues so I am searching for a late 90' with built in slave ... I think 94+.

snoman87
02-15-2005, 10:20
I should be able to use fuel line to run from the lift pump to the 85' filter assembly and then to the Injector pump shouldn't I.

I think the 83' runs from the primary filter to lift pump then to secondary filter and then the IP.