PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Classifieds - Watch yourself!!

TanM998
02-04-2005, 18:31
I was just recently approached by a potential buyer on some parts that I had listed in the classifieds on this site. The ad was pretty much dead for several months. I was asking $325 for the parts, and this guy then wanted me to cash a money order for $1525 and send back $1200 to him through his prearranged shipper.

IMHO this is a bigtime fraud... I have notified the IFCC and now I am notifying you. Seller be ware!!!

Scott
'85 Tan M998 W/CTIS

dieselbegreat
02-04-2005, 18:48
Just curious: How is that fraud?

gavio
02-04-2005, 19:16
It's actually become a pretty common scam of late - as I understand it, what happens is that the money order or whatever they send you is bogus, which you don't find out until after you've already sent yer own hard-earned dough off to wherever.

If you follow car auctions on ebay, you'll often hear it referred to as the Nigerian Scam because frequently the scammer will pose as being from Nigeria or South Africa or some unheard of "small country"....

dieselbegreat
02-05-2005, 16:39
Thanks. I would cash the m.o. or check and wait for it to clear first, and indorse it "without recourse" above my signature. I know someone who got a bogus check, but they waited to ship.