PDA

View Full Version : Hot start

n0n0_1963
11-24-2003, 21:46
I start to have some problem to start the 6.2 when hot. No problem to start it when it's cold even after night. When it's hot it have to rev. few time before running. The fuel filter and injector have been just replace but this didn't get worse or better.If I push on the gas it get even worse, NO FUEL???. I suspect the lift pump to be bad, but why only when it's hot after sitting more than twenty minutes????. The lift pump is very hard to access due to the Banks now. So any good trick to test it for sure. I was thinking to use the port for the bleeding of the filter to see if I had a leak in the system. What should be the max pressure I should have?

britannic
11-24-2003, 22:26
There's a few things that cause hot starting problems on the 6.2/6.5L mechanical IP engines:

1. Worn IP
2. Timing too retarded
3. Worn timing chain (will contribute to #2)
4. Worn injectors (more noticeable with lower viscosity hot fuel)
5. Leaking injector allowing air to be drawn back into system (will cause problems cold as well though)
6. Air leaks in system that only become apparent when hot (pretty rare, but you never know)
7. Suggestions from other members...

I've had hot start problems twice over the life of my truck. The first time was caused by retarded timing and the second, was when the IP started leaking at the throttle shaft.

n0n0_1963
11-27-2003, 20:49
The symtom are like we have on the gaser with vapor lock, the two last think who was replaced at the latest was in first the fuel filter, and the injector ( rebuilt by a DP vendor). It getting a little bet harder when it's cold now but it's colder too in LA, CA. I start to think the fuel pump could be the culprit. What will be the best way to check it?.W/out to much work, could I use the air bleeding port to check the loose of the fuel pressure?

jonflies
07-22-2004, 17:38
Did you ever diagnose the problem? I'm having similar troubles now and would like to know what happened in your case.