PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling Mechanical Fuel Pump

cschneider
11-22-2003, 09:16
Does anyone have any insight into replacing the mechanical lift pump? I had an electric pump put in after the engine replacement and ditched the mechanical one. Since I have a 4911 pump and HO injectors I think the electric pump feeding the mechanical would be a good thing. I was also looking aftermarket fuel pumps that seem to perform much better than stock but I don't know if they can feed diesel as well.

CleviteKid
11-22-2003, 09:21
Take a look at

http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/leefilt.htm

for some info on an electric fuel pump and the Racor fuel filter. The pump used is equivalent to the lift pump on the 6.5LTD trucks, so it has plenty of capacity to feed your Hot-Rod engine.

My electric pump feeds through my functioning stock mechanical fuel pump, and the electric pump is usually turned off, so I have concluded that the stock mechanical fuel pump alone also has plenty of capacity for a Hot-Rod Diesel.

How do you like the propane for your application?

Dr. Lee :cool:

cschneider
11-22-2003, 10:15
Sounds good. I have the AC pump already on there so that should be more than enough flow to feed the engine. I may then think about a series system with Racor filter in the future but I'll concentrate on getting the truck running first. The propane was a good addition but I have some worries as to the long term effects. I think I have correctly dialed in the flow rate and timing but at WOT I still get some noticeable preignition no matter what I do. As long as I am conservative with the pedal I can get probably about 5-12%% more power (per the seat of my pants dyno) and about 1-2 mpg better mileage. I can usually get about 800 miles out of an 8 gallon tank of propane so if only I could find a better price on the stuff I'd be in better shape.