PDA

View Full Version : am I paying too much

glassbysam
09-09-2004, 14:51
hi
have a mechanic working on my p30 chevy van 6.2L normally aspirated diesel, 5 spd manual trans. , he is charging me $288.68 for a clutch kit, ...$247.10 for a clutch master cylinder ...$76.20 for a clutch slave cylinder,.. and $30.67 for an air filter.. $134.00 for 8 glow plugs..
and he used 8 quarts of brake fluid to bleed the clutch system ..[I thought the clutch was working "OK" when I had it brought in to him...]

Are any of these prices too high??
seem a little high to me , what do you experts say??
thanks
sam

DmaxMaverick
09-09-2004, 15:12
Looks to be more than double what I would consider reasonable. Very high, even for a dealer.

Those aren't Canadian funds, are they? It wouldn't be as bad if it were.

The clutch kit isn't bad if it includes friction and pressure plate. The rest is highway robbery. $134 for 8 glow plugs? 30 bucks for an air filter?

1 qt. to bleed the clutch cyl's. 2 if your mechanic is really bad at it. 8 if he doesn't know what he is doing. Holy cow, that's 2 gallons! Since he replaced both master and slave, only thing left to flush is the line. It holds maybe 3 oz.

Ouch comes to mind!

Some shops automatically double their rate for any Diesel work. Even if the work is no different than on a gasser. There are a couple shops around here like that and I don't send any business their way.

84 C2B2
09-09-2004, 21:16
You could also go to the authorized repair manual that details the cost and labor involved for your repairs. Hi prices are pretty out of line except for the clutch assy. You'll rip his head off when you see the actual clutch reservoir and internal slave cylinder. About 3-5 ounces only.

Jerry