PDA

View Full Version : Please read this and verify my thinking so I do not kill my 6.2

mdregister
09-06-2004, 12:20
I have ordered all the stuff necessary to change my timing chain over to the DSG dual idler gear set-up. Please make sure my thinking on the timing gears/injection pump gear and their alignment is right.

I have never done this before, but here is my plan:

1. REMOVE WATER PUMP (this gives me access to the injection pump driven gear on the injection pump shaft).

2. ROTATE CRANKSHAFT UNTIL TDC IS INDICATED VIA THE POINTER ON ENGINE FRONT COVER AND THE ALIGNMENT MARK ON THE INJECTION PUMP DRIVEN GEAR (the one on the IP shaft) IS AT THE 6 O'CLOCK POSITION, AND THE ALIGNMENT MARK ON THE CAM TIMING GEAR THAT DRIVES THE IP GEAR, IS AT 12 O'CLOCK. REMOVE THE IP DRIVEN GEAR (the one on the IP shaft) AT THIS POINT.

3. ROTATE THE CRANKSHAFT 360 DEGRESS TO INDICATE TDC ON THE POINTER AGAIN. THIS WILL PUT MY MARK ON THE CAM TIMING GEAR AT 6 O'CLOCK AND THE MARK ON THE CRANKSHAFT GEAR AT 12 O' CLOCK (aligned). THE CRANK CAN NOT BE ROTATED AFTER THIS POINT UNTIL THE NEW GEAR SET IS INSTALLED.

4. REMOVE DAMPNER, FRONT COVER AND OLD TIMING CHAIN/GEARS.

5. INSTALL NEW GEAR SET WITH THE TIMING MARK ON THE CAM GEAR AT 6 O'CLOCK AND THE MARK ON THE CRANK GEAR AT 12 O'CLOCK.

6. ROTATE ENGINE 360 DEGREES TILL THE CAM GEAR TIMING MARK IS BACK AT 12 O'CLOCK.

7. REINSTALL FRONT COVER WITH A NEW SEAL.

8. REINSTALL THE IP driven gear (on the IP shaft) WITH THE TIMING MARK AT 6 O'CLOCK TO MATCH THE MARK ON THE CAM GEAR WHICH IS BACK AT 12 O'CLOCK.

9. REINSTALL WATER PUMP, ETC.

Is my thinking on the relationship of the gears and their marks correct?? Will I be rotating the crankshaft at the appropriate steps??

Thanks! Sorry to beat a dead horse, but I want to be sure.

Mike

TimK
09-07-2004, 06:30
It looks ok to me. I don't remember if you said if you were replacing the crankshaft damper. If not, check it while it off for the the elastic bulging out between the inner and outer pieces of metal. Also check the shaft surface the seal rides on. It should be smooth. Sometime on an old damper the seal has worn a groove into the surface. If the damper is still in good condition the groove in the surface can be repaired with a speedy sleeve. These are manufactured by Chicago Rawhide just for this application.

TimK

mdregister
09-07-2004, 07:17
Thanks for the input. I am indeed going to replace the dampner along with the water puymp etc. I thought I may post up where I got everything with part numbers as the prices vary wildly from vendor to vendor. Maybe that could help someone doing the same thing.

Larry Andrews
09-08-2004, 22:20
I'd definitely be interested in reading about the best prices on those parts! smile.gif That repair is scheduled right after my transmission gets fixed.

smcghan
09-27-2004, 22:09
Ok Im new with diesel's what is a dsg dual idler gear set? What it sounds like to me (with a gas back round) is gear drive? Is that it? steven

TimK
09-28-2004, 06:28
Yes, the DSG gear drive is a set of timing gears installed to replace the stock timing chain set. You can get more info at DSG's web site: http://www.dieselservices.com/ I have bought two sets of these for two different engines. They are an excellant investment for any engine you plan on running a long time.

TimK