PDA

View Full Version : Duramax in '85 K-20?

Jgreemo
09-02-2004, 16:33
Just a fantasy, but a buddy knows of wrecked 2500 with the D-Max. Anybody know if a D-Max/Allison combo would fit in a K-20 Sub?

Not a single complaint with my Banks setup, but just wondering.

Jon

dieselcrawler
09-03-2004, 10:10
I know I'd be finding a way to make it fit... enough hammers and torches will make anything fit! THat would be a sweet setup... *grin*
Greg

nape
09-03-2004, 14:30
One of the biggest space problems is going to be with the air conditioning box in the truck. Look for the listings on adding a 6.5 turbo to one of the older trucks maybe for help.
Nape

whatnot
09-04-2004, 19:10
Duramax engines have center-mount turbos so the AC box problem shouldn't be a problem.

The electrical would be the bad part.

CA_Grizzly
09-05-2004, 00:57
Is the duramax larger then a Cummins engine ? Cummins have been installed in 80s chevy

DmaxMaverick
09-06-2004, 16:04
The engine would fit under the hood no problem, with relatively minor modifications. It is about 10" shorter than the Cummins, but wider, but not much, if any, wider than the 6.5. The turbo is center mounted, including all the associated hardware. The engine was originally designed to fit into an 88-98 C/K body.

Whatnot is right. Problems would be with the electrical. You would need to replace the original wire harness with a Duramax harness, including the computer(s) and ALDL port.

Read about Jim's (More Power) install into a K1500 under the Duramax Diesel Power Project (http://forum.thedieselpage.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=11) topic. It wouldn't be much different in your case. All the issues that came up were handled.

All you really need is $$$$!