PDA

View Full Version : Foaming coolant

Dmax son
08-21-2004, 05:15
I was driving the other day when my temp spiked, so I pulled to the side of the road and the temp drop right back down. But coolant was flow out of the overflow. So I let it sit overnight checked it today, low on coolant, topped it off and started the engine and let it idle, and as is warmed up it started to bubble and foam out of the radiator, then stoped. I took it for a short drive around the block and the temps were normal, but when I stopped it was pouring water out. I didn't notice any lose in power, but I think it has a blown head gasket. What do you guys think??

Thanks
Bryan

JeepSJ
08-21-2004, 08:40
Sounds like a head gasket. Worst case is a cracked head. Either way the heads need to come off.

arveetek
08-21-2004, 13:43
Originally posted by Dmax son:
I think it has a blown head gasket. What do you guys think??

Thanks
Bryan Unfortunately, that is one of the classic symptoms of a blown headgasket all right. Sorry. :(

Casey

Peter J. Bierman
08-22-2004, 06:25
Exactly what happened to me, turned out to be a haedgasket.
If you remove the coolant crossover and the v-belts, fill the engine with coolant and run it for a few minutes, you can see the bubbles coming from one head, thats the one leaking.

Peter

CleviteKid
08-22-2004, 06:57
. . . but you should change both head gaskets anyway, since you will be that deep into the engine.

A pair of old rocker arm shafts make convenient handles for lifting the somewhat heavy heads off the engine.

Dr. Lee :cool:

Larry Andrews
08-24-2004, 21:24
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
A pair of old rocker arm shafts make convenient handles for lifting the somewhat heavy heads off the engine.I've always wondered about something that I hope I never have to learn about first hand.

Anybody know the difference in weight between a 6.2 head and the head from a 300ci Ford straight six? Getting the head off the six in the old van singlehandedly was quite a feat...and one I probably couldn't do again in my 'old' age. smile.gif

BTW: Sorry about the gasket - they're a bummer.

-la

rickmeyer
08-27-2004, 17:31
Each head weighs about 75#. My advice is to get a helper when reinstalling the head. Wipe the gasket surfaces down with laquer thinner and then dont contaminate the now clean surfaces by touching them. Try to set the head on the blaock without sliding it around on the gasket to get it to line up with the dowel pins. Having a new gasket fail as a result of contamination will do nothing but **** you off. Good luck!